Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So incredibly angry with my dwarves  (Read 1756 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So incredibly angry with my dwarves
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 10:24:43 am »

I always like to do an entryway with twists and corners, so the military won't get line of sight to the invaders until they're right where I want the killing to take place. 

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 03:08:30 pm »

Note that this won't stop kobolds. So you'll need an anti-kobold defense.... generally a cat on a leash works, since they uncloak the kobold. There's also a tricky setup that will allow you to, using pressure plates, filter dwarves down one path, and route all kobolds down another.... one that is a giant hallway filled with constantly repeating upright spikes. Voila, kobold soup.

Yeah, but kobolds are never much of a threat to start with. A good idea is a long-lived animal behind a window, like a male blue pea-hen. don't need a leash then, and little risk of losing the animal.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:14:48 pm by Reelya »

Suoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 07:10:40 pm »

Well, i do have a suggestion on fail-safe gateways that do not require a lever pull:

Code: [Select]
####
.PH.
####

Where # is a wall, H is a hatch over a trench, and P is a pressure plate set to trigger by enemies and open the hatch, make sure to set the plate to trigger for all hostile weights.. Your dwarfs and pets will pass this, but it will block all hostiles from the Pressure-Plate side. It even stops non-flying building destroyers - they hit the plate, opening the hatch, then they attack the open hatch, stranding themselves outside.

I've been thinking of something similar, except with a sort of 'door man'.

####.#####
E.H..IcPH->
####.#####
E - Entrance
H - Hatch
I - Glass, fortification or whatever
c - any suitable, domesticated creature
P - Pressure plate linked to hatches
-> - Escape path

So the 'door man' would be pastured to the left of the pressure plate, with a line of sight through the entrance corridor. When it sees a hostile, it tries to run away from it, triggering the pressure plate, opening both the hatches and blocking the escape path. Once the corridor is cleared of hostiles, the 'door man' returns to it's post and the hatches close. Has anyone tried something like this?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:28:02 am by Suoli »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 01:01:56 am »

Checkerboard walls work wonders, actually.
#.#.#
##.##
#.#.#
##.##
#.#.#
##.##
Where . is the floor.  Position your military to the bottom, and they can't see the goblins until they pass through the checkerboard.  They'll then go to them, but can only see in diagonals, which is generally far more restrictive in sight, and 90% of the time combat only happens on the inside of the setup - they don't even get into the checkers.

Huh, this is actually a pretty clever way to break up line of sight! I'll probably implement it in my next fortress.
Pages: 1 [2]