Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preferences?  (Read 2346 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preferences?
« on: March 21, 2012, 03:05:48 pm »

What do they do?

Dwarves usually have in their thoughts and preferences some animal preference like "likes cows for their daunting moos" or something like that... how can we use this to make them happy?

Assigning said animal as a pet, labour animal?
Building their room out of that animal's soap bars?

Urist likes chickens, so I build him a bedroom with walls and floors made of "chicken soap bars", does that makes him happy?

Do they even care if I build their bed out of his favourite wood?
Do they like if I build other furniture out their favourite stone?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:07:43 pm by Kaos »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preferences?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 03:11:39 pm »

If they like parts of the animal instead of the whole, living animal, it will say that, like "He likes ostrich bones." So building rooms out of animal parts won't help cheer up dwarfs who like the animal whole. But assigning them one as a pet or putting one near them, or even in a cage they have to go past will certainly contribute to happiness. Ditto for building their furniture out of their favorite materials, it helps a lot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:15:04 pm »

Item and material preferences also affect mandates; a noble who likes iron, doors, and shields is much better than one that likes bismuth, earrings, and low boots, for example.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 03:47:38 pm »

"Likes cows for their haunting moos".
Cage up a cow. Place it in their room. 1+ point to HAPPINESS!

It doesn't have to make sense. Your dwarf is a moophiliac.

Building their room out of that animal's soap bars?
I'd imagine it'd have the opposite effect.
But that's applying logic to the situation.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:50:52 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »

Preferences make the dwarf perceive preferred items as higher-value than other dwarves would. The exact affect is unknown, but this is part of what they do. A dwarf who liked marble, for instance, might treat a room in a marble chamber as a higher quality level than normal. Caged animals are basically treated as items.

Preferences also make dwarves better at working with that material. This is akin to adding +1 to their skill level for relevant tasks. A steel-loving weaponsmith would be somewhat more likely to make high-quality steel weapons than another dwarf.

Nobles will make mandates only for item types they like, and IIRC they only demand items made from materials they like.

In addition, dwarves are much more likely to adopt a pet of an animal type that they like.

Preference bonuses stack if more than one attribute of an item is liked. The aforementioned weaponsmith would be even better if they liked serrated discs, because steel discs would then be made as if the weaponsmith was 2 levels higher than they actually would.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 04:51:03 pm »

It would be problematic if they like a grazer since putting in a cage would starve it...

The body parts, like "likes bunny teeth" or "cavy bones", would only affect what? the type of items they acquire? like a crown or ring just to hoard it into their chests?

Nothing useful you can build with them (unless getting lucky with a mood)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:11:14 pm by Kaos »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 05:29:36 pm »

It would be problematic if they like a grazer since putting in a cage would starve it...

The body parts, like "likes bunny teeth" or "cavy bones", would only affect what? the type of items they acquire? like a crown or ring just to hoard it into their chests?

Nothing useful you can build with them (unless getting lucky with a mood)

You could encrust their bed, cabinet, etc. with it. I believe that would help.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:17:50 pm »

I was looking at my dwarves preferences to assign some labours and saw one that likes "kaolinite", so if I have my mason make kaolinite furniture for her or get my gem cutter to cut kaolinite and encrust her bed with it she'll be happy, right?

What about making her my Potter? kaolinite is common stone but can be made into Porcelain items with 10 times the value, or do I need a dwarf that likes porcelain instead?

The same with crystal rock, it's a stone, it can be made into crystal glass, does the glass maker produces higher quality crystal glass items if he likes crystal rock? after all is the same as when they like "ash wood" and produce an "ashen" wood item... but since dwarves can have a preference for crystal glass itself... and the reaction also needs some sort of fuel...

A dwarf that likes a creature when ordered to make an item out of said creature will also get the extra benefit in quality? for example: likes cows makes cow leather coat or does he need to like cow leather instead? or gets double benefit if likes cows and cow leather? (plus extra if also likes coats)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:20:16 pm by Kaos »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 07:40:16 pm »

A dwarf with a preference for a material value things made from that material more than other dwarves would. This includes decorations. It doesn't necessarily mean that a dwarf will be "happy" if they're given items of that material, though. A dwarf with a preference for kaolinite would probably prefer a room made from common flux, for instance, because the preference effective-value multiplier isn't as large as the difference between those materials' material value multiplier.

Kaolinite and porcelain are two different things. A preference for one does nothing related to the working of the other. The preference effective skill bonus is basically just for the things the finished product is made out of. Preferences for rock crystal don't affect crystal glass jobs because they're not making anything of the "rock crystal" material, preferences for cows doesn't help when making cow leather items because those are made from cow leather, not cow, and so on. You're trying to make the system more complicated than it is; the game doesn't "know" what unrefined materials are used to make a refined material, and the things you're discussing involve the game just making things out of the refined material. The unrefined materials - kaolinite, rock crystal, and cows in your examples - aren't considered.

Ash wood and some other materials have an unusual adjective applied to items made of it, so preferences for ash wood affect things made that have that adjective. That's not actually a special case.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 02:26:05 pm »

In a recent embark I got a dwarf that likes
quarry bushes for their gray leaves
since we can't directly cook quarry bushes, would having him as my Grower will result in happy thoughts when planting/harvesting quarry bushes? would bigger stacks be produced?

Animal preferences: a dwarf that
likes cows would get happy thoughts from milking a cow?
likes sheep for their wool, shearing a sheep?
butchering his preferred animal?
training a dog?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:41:36 pm by Kaos »

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 03:44:07 pm »

Urist likes chickens, so I build him a bedroom with walls and floors made of "chicken soap bars", does that makes him happy?

Hahaha. Imagine if you accepted a new job somewhere, and in the orientation meeting they said, "So, what's your favorite animal?" And you're like, "Um, dogs, I guess. Yeah, I really like dogs." And then the next week you move into your new office, and everyone is crowded around and yells, "Surprise! We put tons of stuff made out of the bodyparts of dead dogs in your office! BECAUSE YOU LOVE DOGS SO MUCH! Aren't you so happy now!?!"

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 04:00:52 pm »

Ahh, preferences. My favorite part of the game, actually. I go WAAAAY out of my way to accomodate them.
A few things I've observed:
- Engraves are quite likely to enrave objects they favour
- As mentioned, anything they make that they like will likely be of higher quality
- As also mentioned, any direct interaction will produce a happy thought (being around an observable object. Plants/natural rock do not count.)
- It seems to very heavily influence artifact choice. I habitually make anybody who likes beds a carpenter for artifact beds (and sometimes, a metalworker for the same)
- It seems to heavily influence their item choice, when in military and set to "choice"
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 04:55:12 pm »

According to the wiki, an undead cow will give them the same happy thought.  See if you can get a dead cow raised by a necromancer, and then cage-trap it.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 05:05:18 pm »

According to the wiki, an undead cow will give them the same happy thought.  See if you can get a dead cow raised by a necromancer, and then cage-trap it.

Urist likes undead cows for their truly haunting moos