Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will murky pools surrounded with walls fill up higher?  (Read 697 times)

nakorkren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Will murky pools surrounded with walls fill up higher?
« on: June 02, 2013, 06:26:16 pm »

As the topic indicates, I have a question about murky pools. There is no water on the map other than a few murky pools, unless I build a giant pump stack down to the caverns. Which I may do later, but right now it's beyond my abilities.

I know that murky pools will fill back up from rainwater, but will not overflow. My question is this: if I build a wall around a murky pool, will it fill up to the level of the wall and then stop, or does it only fill back up to the original level?

I'm going to try it, obviously, since it's low cost to find out, but I was wondering if someone had already figured it out.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will murky pools surrounded with walls fill up higher?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 07:57:17 pm »

never tried this, but I'm quite confident it will not work.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 03:26:32 am »

no, otherwise they'd fill up regardless of the walls and overflow. I don't think there is a script that makes a murky pool check if the edges of the pool could be higher than 1 z-level
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:54:40 am »

You probably need to pump out the water as soon as a decent quantitiy is in there and accumulate the water in a cistern. that way, the (now drained) murky pool can continue to fill up.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 01:22:43 pm »

You could try to make the pool bigger or deeper.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 01:44:04 pm »

definately not deeper. The 'murky pool' tiles are fairly unique
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 04:56:44 pm »

Deepening a murky pool will only make a pit in the ground, which functions the same as any other you dig out yourself. Murky pools refill because each of the Murky Pool tiles generates 1/7 water whenever rain hits them, and if you destroy these tiles then you destroy the pool.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nobu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 06:16:26 pm »

It won't work, the murky pool tiles just fill their own square, like the others said.  So what you want to do instead of maximize draining them, to make sure they're never at 7/7 when it's raining, because that would result in you missing out on potential water.  You'd ideally build the drain to the side of the pool so you're not breaking the murky pool tiles you are counting on.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:50 pm »

Drain it into a sump for an always-on pump. Once the water passes through the pump, it stops being stagnant, and having the pump right next to the pool freshens the water ASAP. Stagnant water is no longer the magical mega-pollutant it was for a few versions, but it's a bad idea to leave stagnant water anywhere a dwarf can dip a bucket in it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ionizer

• Bay Watcher
  • Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 08:08:30 pm »

I've expanded a murky pool, and the new tiles filled with water (though obviously much slower than normal and I lost some rainwater to evaporation).  Obviously, only the murky pool tiles actually filled, then the water washed into the new tiles.  The most successful "Refill" was an early winter rainstorm (this particular biome freezes only during mid winter) that left most tiles of my pool with a small puddle of water, that froze into full 7/7 ice blocks before it evaporated.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »

I made an awesome lake once by connecting multiple murky pools together, but it took a long time of carefully controlled channeling to get that sucker to fill and not just evaporate away.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 08:20:02 pm »

I made an awesome lake once by connecting multiple murky pools together, but it took a long time of carefully controlled channeling to get that sucker to fill and not just evaporate away.

I created a system of canals through this method, but I made sure the pools wouldn't drain to evaporation (lowest it got was either 2/7 or 3/7) and waited for the system to fill before digging further.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon