Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Design Program  (Read 684 times)

toradrow777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Design Program
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:37:45 pm »

I don't know if this should go here or in the general discussion, so if this is wrong please move it to the appropriate board and PM me, thank you.

Now, does anyone know if there's a program that allows players to plan out their fortress design?

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: Fortress Design Program
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 03:01:20 pm »

Packed with LNP is Chromafort, which lets you convert a .BMP (I think?) to DF. I don't really use it, so I can't explain too much, but if my knowledge is correct, it lets you plan your fort (color coded) in graphic design programs such as Gimp, and then run them as a macro in DF. Hopefully this is what you're looking for?

If you just mean planning a fort, not creating it, paper is your best friend. I recommend 1/4in graph paper :P I have a tablet of it, and I use it for everything.
'ere the Chias get hungry...

toradrow777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 03:05:08 pm »

I mean just planning a fort, but in a way similar to how you'd create a fort in DF (sans the dwarves digging everything out) and the ability to label each and every area you wish.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:39:04 pm »

I mean just planning a fort, but in a way similar to how you'd create a fort in DF (sans the dwarves digging everything out) and the ability to label each and every area you wish.
I just use photoshop or paint. One pixel is one tile.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 05:59:00 pm »

I use spreadsheets...

Change the grid to squares, zoom out until you can see things at a scale you like and go from there. It lets me use colours and characters in the same squares, and I can copy/paste easily. As a bonus, I can do a few tricks like counting all the squares that contain a particular character, which is good for knowing total number of doors, or for working out areas. It's probably no surprise that my designs tend towards the square though, rather than the circular, although I have some Minecraft references for those.