Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prisoners...arena...  (Read 577 times)

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prisoners...arena...
« on: June 02, 2013, 04:24:47 am »

I had 2 sieges that resultet in a large amount of caged prisoners due to my extreme-fortress-cage-trap-makeover. I got something like 10-20 goblin invaders, 2 goblien thiefs and...10 cave dragons  :o

So, now to my question: I've built a little arena (a big "hole" and alot of chairs above/aorund and made it a meeting area) where I placed one of the caged cave dragons. Then I designated one of my goblin thiefs to a pit/pond (just one z-level fall so no damage) so he was dropped into the arena. I then released the cave dragon via a lever and was just about to witness some good-old-gladiator-goodies but then....the cave dragon and the goblin thief didn't fight each other...they're just standing there, going around each other talking about wind,weather a the latest news from home I guess...

So, the cave dragon and goblin thiefs are friends? Which creatures are friends or not?
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Prisoners...arena...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:05:56 am »

The cave dragons, having come with the siege, are members of the goblin entity. Therefore they won't attack goblins.

You MIGHT be able to, if cave dragons breed at all, get them to breed, and then carefully separate them from their parents and rear them. Or alternatively you can go capture jabberers and dralthas from the caves yourself.

Or just magma. Either or.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:29:25 am »

the cave dragon and the goblin are friends.

You won't want your dwarves to watch anyway.  If the gladiators are unchained the sight of them will frighten dwarves, they won't drink and have fun.  One way to do this is to line the arena with glass walls, which dwarves cannot see through, but you can of course just pretend they're enjoying the show.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 09:17:45 am »

Chain prisoners, send recruits fight them. It's hilarious sight.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:28:44 am »

You won't want your dwarves to watch anyway.  If the gladiators are unchained the sight of them will frighten dwarves, they won't drink and have fun.  One way to do this is to line the arena with glass walls, which dwarves cannot see through, but you can of course just pretend they're enjoying the show.

Hehe..that last sentence made me laugh out loud. Thanks :)

Guess I'll chain them up and let my fragile soliders put there trust in Armok...
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 11:04:18 am »

Hehe..that last sentence made me laugh out loud. Thanks :)

Guess I'll chain them up and let my fragile soliders put there trust in Armok...
Knowing recruits, I suggest you disarm the goblin. If you want, you can even the your dwarves wooden weapons to beat the crap out of them to make it last longer. I am assuming you know how to disarm a captured goblin. Anyways, Kudos to you!
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 07:59:28 pm »

attempting to chain a goblin without disarming it first is a very bad idea.  But for even more fun, give the recruits training swords.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku