Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart Quantum Stockpiling for Food and Drink  (Read 4269 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Minecart Quantum Stockpiling for Food and Drink
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:42:49 pm »

I absolutely cannot get minecart Q-stockpiling of food and drink to work.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart Quantum Stockpiling for Food and Drink
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:54:38 pm »

As with all minecart quantums, it's fairly simple.  Just add a track stop, set "dump north" and put a food stockpile to the north.  It will dump its contents there no matter what's already there.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:06:47 pm »

As with all minecart quantums, it's fairly simple.  Just add a track stop, set "dump north" and put a food stockpile to the north.  It will dump its contents there no matter what's already there.

That doesn't work.  No matter what, they carry the foodstuffs from the northern stockpile back to the southern one. 

And before you suggest it, I've already tried setting the take/give commands for the stockpiles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:14:47 pm »

Does the track stop dump the food onto a stockpile?  Dwarves will stockpile loose items, but if it's already on a stockpile then it's already stocked.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:15:25 pm »

it does.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:10:04 pm »

Barrels (and bins) don't play well together with quantum stockpiles.  Dwarves will move barrels off of the quantum pile if they can.  This can easily lead to an infinite loop.  Maybe if you make sure there is nowhere else to put the barrels of booze?

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:38:48 pm »

i found the same thing.  Barrels mess up the stockpile.  I always have to have a separate non-quantum stockpile for booze, meals and other things.

No idea if pots somehow get around this.  I suppose I should try that.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 01:58:44 am »

Booze should be the only thing that needs barrels.  For everything else, you can just keep it out of barrels and pasture a cat on the stockpile as an anti-vermin measure.

For booze, you can just put the brewery somewhere accessible and let it quantum stockpile right in the workshop.  (Seeds need the same treatment, since even putting them in bags causes cancellation spam.)
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:20:45 am »

I have also had this problem.  I prefer pots and don't use barrels.  In fact, I tend to sell the barrels completely off when I get the chance.  (Yes, I trade with gits, I like exotic animals.)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 12:03:16 pm »

Alright, good, I was worried it was just me who had problems with all of this.  I've resorted to having separate food-and-drink stockpiles rather than mine-cart automation, like I'm some kind of...some kind of animal....*shivers*

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 03:11:32 pm »

Booze should be the only thing that needs barrels.  For everything else, you can just keep it out of barrels and pasture a cat on the stockpile as an anti-vermin measure.
flies...
really, food and drink don't take that much space
(Seeds need the same treatment, since even putting them in bags causes cancellation spam.)
dorfs sometimes pick bags to place seeds in them, and then farmer cancels plant 'cause bag is in use. make feeder stockpile with 0 bags/barrels(4-6 size) and give to main seeds with barrels enabled.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:14:58 pm by Hommit »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 03:30:50 pm »

dorfs sometimes pick bags to place seeds in them, and then farmer cancels plant 'cause bag is in use. make feeder stockpile with 0 bags/barrels(4-6 size) and give to main seeds with barrels enabled.

You can't mark stockpiles to disallow bags, and dwarves will put seeds in bags even if there's no stockpile for them.  I've heard that marking a stockpile that doesn't accept seeds to "take from" the seed-producing workshop will solve the problem, though I haven't tried it myself.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.