Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy Dwarves, or LSD Outbreak?  (Read 477 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lazy Dwarves, or LSD Outbreak?
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:24:19 am »

I'm currently getting some strange behavior out of my dwarves. Nothing fatal or fortress-threatening yet, but definitely irritating. It started with setting up a meeting area in a cave I'd dug out as my fortress' bazaar, where shops and the trade depot would be. My turkeys went there, albeit extremely slowly. My dwarves just hung around the wagon. I had them dig out a farm area, and a place for my turkeys, and eventually they wandered over and hung out in my cave. Great! Odd, but it's what I wanted. Next, I built some shops to start making potash and various furniture. Well they took their sweet ass time getting it all done, and now, despite hav ing shops, available material, jobs enables, and free time [ 'No Job' freeloading bastards.] they refuse to actually do anything. Occasionally one will wander over, do one or two things, then go right back to no job. There are no burrows, and no stockpiles yet [just started.], so none of that could be it.

Edit: Their laziness has struck again. My turkeys were sitting on some eggs, which were marked with 'TSK' so I figured they would do something about them, but no. Now I have an extra 47 poults. =|
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:32:46 am by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Dwarves, or LSD Outbreak?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:34:52 am »

If it's not about burrows or stockpiles, only thing I can think is something is wrong with labors. You use Therapist, right? Check them. And for egg-problem, do you have empty food/egg stockpile? Because without it they won't haul anything.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:37:21 am »

I use no mods, not even DFHack. And yeah, I have a stockpile only half full, even got some empty  barrels sitting around. And their labors are set up. They occasionally find time in their busy schedule fo doing nothing to get a little work done.
Legacy of Insightshields

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 11:40:10 am »

Sounds like user error.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:44:49 am »

Sounds like user error.

I wish, then it would be alot easier to correct.
Legacy of Insightshields

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:01:55 pm »

Sometime dwarfs just don't wanna work.

I've been doing a 6 military, 1 worker embark for a while, and it's super annoying to watch him stand around in the dining hall when I know he's got like 20 different jobs he could be doing.

I've starting using meeting zones to have him hang around the jobs I'd like him to work on first.  Like getting the Yak corpse out of the butcher shop before it rots.

Dwarf won't recognize a moved meeting area right away either.  Takes a few in-game days before they'll start hanging out at the new place.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 02:30:50 pm »

I know you're not new, but any chance you ran out of booze?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 03:54:28 pm »

Naw, I kept checking and never dropped below 20. It was only even that low because my dwarves wouldn't brew some damn beer. Finally I got them to start making barrels every now and again. I got some migrants and now there's enough of them that most jobs can find atleast 1 dwarf willing to get off his ass and do something. It still seems slow ashell for them to do it, though. I mean they got some magnetite gathered relatively quickly, but then I watched my furnace operator just hang out and stare at a wall for like a month before he finally got around to smelting anything.
Legacy of Insightshields