Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where do you go for inspiration?  (Read 647 times)

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where do you go for inspiration?
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:15:37 am »

The "Share where you look for inspiration" thread! Where do you go when you are looking to be inspired, on fort layout, design, etc? I know personally, I'm a little dry on design ideas personally (both on a grand scale, and on a smaller scale, i.e. Bedroom design, throne room design, front gates, etc) and I'd love to hear other's. Bonus points for images!

I'll start with some easy ones: Ironforge (WoW) any of the dwarven cities in the Dragon Age game, and Erebor (The Hobbit)

Also this image has some interesting potential for a city based around an underground cavern.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you go for inspiration?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:21:55 am »

I usually play Masterwork Orc Fortress, so any south/meso american culture's cities or something like that. For dwarves I look at natural formations of rock like crystal caves and shit.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:40:08 am »

I really don't know. I just try build anything comes to my mind. Like giant statue of rabbit which cries magma and spits water. And dwarves live inside of it.

Arktyr Taurus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:38:38 pm »

I have a interest in medieval and ancient architecture which gives me far more 'grand plans' for surface forts than I have time to actually try. Places like Marienburg (that I have visited) can give you an hint of just how complex those things can be. And trying to mix that complexity with something that not only works but is also efficient in DF .. it can take a while.
And I have also been playing RPG's for a long time. Pen and Paper since I was 9. DMing since I was 14. And have always tried to make the various dungeons I've designed for the game to 'make sense'. Mix in a lot of looking at other peoples 'home made' dungeons and the various official ones.

TLDR: Historical sources + Pen and Paper dungeons/adventures.

As for how I build them. When I go full out on underground fort I tend to leave the entrance as some simple hole in the hillside that leads to a large entrance tunnel, usually filled with traps and drawbridges. If I go for surface, I tend to keep as much as possible above ground. With the exception of some mushroom farms and the catacombs .. since I tend to need a lot of those. I also tend to segment my forts quite a bit. Meaning that if things go bad I can still shut out parts and wait it out.

No pictures sadly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 01:04:35 pm »

Blank all thoughts, start from ground up. Build the foundations of an idea, let it grow.