Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tame zombies  (Read 550 times)

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tame zombies
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:16:11 pm »

Started a fort in an evil biome and despite frequent abominable fogs I managed to avoid disaster for 3 years.   Early in the year 254 I started getting job cancellations from Cilob Uristidath the glass maker abominable fog zombie.   

The military is sent out.  As a lone hammerdwarf chases Cilob through the dense bamboo jungle I notice something strange.   Cilob is actually fleeing.  After a spirited chase Cilob manages to shake the hammerdwarf as he returned to his station order. 

Cilob is currently sitting quietly in the corner of the map uninspired to attack the soldiers or enter the fortress proper.

I've never seen any sort of undead run away before.  let alone anything from a fog or mist.   Come to think of it i've seen husks and thralls before but never an abominable fog zombie.  does anybody know if this is typical fog zombie activity?  The hammerdwarf is probably not a vampire as the zombie also ran when chased by a speardwarf. 

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
Re: Tame zombies
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 08:18:56 pm »

In my experience, chaining him and forcing him to fight goblins or elves on an obsidian platform towering over a pool of lava as an overexcited announcer screams out "Cilob Uristidath grabs Knorst Evilhopper's left ear with his nose!" will not give you the answer that you seek, but it will provide a fine show.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tame zombies
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 01:51:27 am »

Here's a completely different situation I had that fits the same thread title:

In Masterwork DF, there are occasional migrants that transform into a hostile necromancer after about a month.  There is also a way to resurrect dwarves.  The first time one of those necromancers revealed himself, I killed him, then promptly resurrected him, thinking I would get my old peasant back.

What I wound up with was a tame "Necromancer in disguise".  After verifying that I could neither butcher him nor order him to sacrifice himself to Armok (you can sometimes get some cool stuff by sacrificing a life at the temple), I ordered him tossed off a cliff.  Turns out the cliff wasn't high enough... so I gave the order again.  Nope, just broken bones.

At that point, I ordered him dragged down to the caverns and tossed off a much higher cliff.  That worked.  His family was very unhappy about him dying twice, though...
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.