Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Familyless dwarves  (Read 409 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Familyless dwarves
« on: May 25, 2013, 05:35:58 am »

I have noticed among my migrants that they lack any sort of relationships, expect for one or two gods.

Is it bug? Is this some kind of safeguard to give me migrants when civ has none?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Familyless dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 05:44:25 am »

for how many years did the world gen go? if it was a short time they were 'the first of their kind' and maybe just didn't meet a partner yet and wern't generated with a family
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 05:45:45 am »

for how many years did the world gen go? if it was a short time they were 'the first of their kind' and maybe just didn't meet a partner yet and wern't generated with a family
250 years.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:11:37 am »

Now that seems unlikely to be normal. I can only guess that all his family is dead... You might want to check somewhat about the gods, wether one of them had a habit of cursing people. It could be a vampire. They don't have to have a lot of entity relations (member off... things) if they managed to stay hidden well enough

I don't think dead family members are listed, so it could still be a war, megabeast or whatever that took care of them
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:17:35 am »

If their family members were dead, wouldn't they still be listed?

They literally lack any kind of parents, siblings or spouses, all of them, only gods and maybe a pet. Otherwise they behave normal, drink, eat and sleep.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:25:32 am »

actually, that could also be one of your starting 7

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:27:53 am »

No, that's my migrants, I see it when I check my migrants on arrival. (And it even my first fort in this world, so it can't be migrants from abandoned one).

I'm pretty sure it's some kind of fallback to supply me with dwarfs world failed to generate. I also have very large number of trader migrants, that turn "friendly" on arrival and think they are parts of caravan that's not here.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:32:15 am »

that last thing is a known bug, dfhack has a fix, (tweak fixmigrant or something) though you have to run it for every bugged migrant

If you have a large number of those, your home civ is small indeed, as they are dwarfs that visited your fort as merchants, merchant guards, liaisons or something other previously, the rest could be randomly generated indeed then

Kind of funny, I can't help you with your original question, but at least there is one other problem solved
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:44:52 am by Garath »