Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Picking up items from dead dwarves  (Read 1509 times)

Coupon11

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Picking up items from dead dwarves
« on: May 25, 2013, 10:53:46 am »

I had 2 dwarfs mining, but they both died of starvation during a food crisis. How do I retrieve their items and their corpses?

Everytime I have a dwarf mine, a few z-layers later he hunts for small vermin and starve to death. Their corpse is a few z-layers down, but no one will get it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:57:00 pm by Coupon11 »

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Picking up items from dead dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:01:46 am »

Unless something blocking access, you don't have to do anything. Other dwarfs will carry everything to appropriate stockpiles, bury bodies (if available coffins are present) and take their equipment if needed.

Unless they went berserk before death, then they count as enemies and you need to claim their stuff.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Coupon11

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 11:55:54 am »

I have refuse and corpse stock piles, along with a dwarf set only to haul refuse and corpses, but no one is going anywhere near the mine.

Edit: How do you stop dwarves from hunting for small creatures? All my mining dwarves will stop mining, look for small creatures, and then starve to death, on every fortress.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:42:00 pm by Coupon11 »

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 01:24:25 pm »

I have refuse and corpse stock piles, along with a dwarf set only to haul refuse and corpses, but no one is going anywhere near the mine.

Edit: How do you stop dwarves from hunting for small creatures? All my mining dwarves will stop mining, look for small creatures, and then starve to death, on every fortress.
Dwarfs hunt for small creatures when they are starving. Then they die.

You seem to dig wrong. You cut your dwarves from the rest of the world somehow, so they have no access to food, nor do their fellow dwarfs have access to their corpses. Please, review your digging strategy. I bet you dig channel, then dig sideways in all direction so ramp is gone and miners can't get back up.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:25:42 pm »

If they're on a different z-level you probably built your stairs or ramps incorrectly, leaving your dwarves stranded. The wiki page on stairs is a good intro.