Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead Animal bodies not being collected for the butchering.  (Read 2531 times)

JudgeDredd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

This will probably be an easy answer or fix, I'll explain.

I had a pack of Rhesus Macaque's run into my fortress before I had any military or defences, so I made a quick militia and I had them all beaten to death.

After they were killed and just laying on the floor dead. My dwarfs began to pick them up, but not to bring them to the butchery, but to the refuse pile.

Why did my dwarfs bring them to my refuse pile and not the butchery..

((The bodies were not set to forbidden or dump))

Thanks for the help.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Animal bodies not being collected for the butchering.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:47:07 pm »

That's actually working as intended - only the butchers themselves will carry bodies to the butcher's shop for butchering. Loose bodies 'belong' in the refuse pile, and that's where your beards will take them. A butchery workshop will _also_ line up corpses from nearby refuse stockpiles for butchering, so if butcher and refuse pile aren't too far apart, that should work out alright. If necessary, you could build a temporary butcher's workshop next to the stockpile.

The refuse pile is an ordinary stockpile - only non-forbidden not-set-to-dump items will be brought there.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:16:22 pm »

wild animals killed by military can be butchered, but only in some vague circumstances.  The body must be reasonably close to the butcher's shop, and the body must be unrotted and not mutilated.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 03:38:36 pm »

Mutilated corpses are fine, so long as they're large enough. The missing pieces that make a corpse a mutilated corpse are also fine, as long as they're large enough. Intact corpses may not be fine, depending on the size of the creature.

Rhesus macaques are the size of turkeys. While whole corpses are going to be butcherable, mutilated ones may not be large enough for butchering.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

JudgeDredd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 04:30:12 pm »

Thanks for the help everyone, it's a little irrelevant now as I accidentally flooded my fortress :/

It annoys me the second an animal is killed by hunter or your army it isn't brought to be butchered immediately how ever.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:51:54 pm »

You just have to change the standing orders to "Dwarves gather refuse from outside."