Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Digging safe pits  (Read 314 times)

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
Digging safe pits
« on: May 24, 2013, 06:48:39 am »

I've had some problems when digging deep pits, mostly with injuries to my miners.

Digging it all as up/down staircases and then channelling it used to be fine, even without dumping the resulting stone. I've now ended up loosing miners to injuries, and I'm not even sure *how* they're hurting themselves.

Not even bruses and then suddenly I get a message someone's been found dead. Then later on, another one ends up in bed with her leg fractured in two places.

After experiencing the same thing on an earlier fort, I dumped the stone before ordering the stairs to be channelled out and it still happened.

I'm only channelling one layer at a time, so it can't be a simple fall to the level below. I don't suppose there is a way to get things like collisions to always show up in the combat logs? They do get recorded, but only if the thing has been fighting recently.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging safe pits
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:24:21 am »

1-z level collisions from falling typically don't cause injury.  Channeling can be dangerous.  Often I intend to channel 1 level at a time, but I look at other z-levels while designating and end up channeling 2 levels at once, resulting in injury.  If your fortress or pit design allows you to dig the whole thing out and use a controlled collapse, that really is the best option. This doesn't work when a controlled collapse would wreck other parts of your fort though.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:38:21 am »

I don't think it's me highlighting 2 or more z levels, I'm quite specifically doing it a layer at a time, largely to avoid any stair fragments being left behind. I am wondering if it's something to do with the fact I have 4+ miners scrabbling across the staircase as it's being removed though.

The weird thing is the blood and corpses keep turning up several z levels down. Unless that's the guys making a break for a bed before expiring.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

OhGodSpidersNo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 05:56:33 pm »

Are you digging out the surface level? Maybe boulders or trees are crushing your guys.