Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Law & Order  (Read 928 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Law & Order
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:41:32 am »

This is the story.

I embarked with nothing to give myself a challenge. Half of the map is terrifying and spawns wretched creatures. Despite this I managed to get a good 14 dwarves and some cattle behind a wooden palisade... when giant zombie sparrows attacked.
I mounted a stand within the confines of the palisade and the dwarves slew 2 sparrows but were overwhelmed. Every single animal and all but one dwarf was slaughtered.

After the survivor had secured the fort, some 3 dwarves migrated to help out.
Unfortunately one of these has a pretty bad temperament. He felt terrible because he saw a rat, because he didn't have a proper room, was caught in the rain, drafted etc, etc.. so he murdered his wife.
I appointed one of the others as sheriff and the sheriff beat the murderer, though not severely. Urist McMurder went to complain to the expedition leader (sole survivor) but ended up attacking her instead. She went to report the crime but, since the sheriff was busy, she went to bed.
Urist McMurder walked into her bedroom and caved her skull in.

At the moment Urist McMurderer is locked up. He has killed 50% of the fortress population and right now he IS 50% of the population.

How would you do in this situation? If I leave him in jail he'll probably be so miserable that he'll die and all hope rests on one single dwarf... but if I let him out he might go crazy again and all hope will rest on one unhinged murder-dwarf. It's also a tremendous burden for the sheriff to do all the fort's chores on his own.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Law & Order
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:48:54 am »

Release him. Imagine him and the sheriff going about their work, watching over their shoulders all the time. Maybe the murderer will reform and the two of them will become friends in the end, who knows?
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:54:23 am »

I say make him do work outside of the palisade. He will die eventually, but he will do something worth while until then. Probably just cutting trees and hauling wood to a stockpile close to the door.

I personally don't like my dwarves murdering each other and wouldn't put up with it.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:38:38 pm »

I would sequester him somewhere, using burrows and locked doors.  Don't give him a pick unless you totally separate him.  Get him doing something useful, like making slabs or farming.  Lock him up once he has all the materials he needs to get started.

Then kill him later (or do whatever you think is most fun).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:45:56 pm »

Some migrants arrived in the nick of time to help out around the fort.

This means that Urist McMurderer will sit in his cell for the duration of his sentence. After that's done with I'll separate him from the others. Either by sending him out to chop wood on his own or by locking him in a special burrow where he can't harm anyone else.

Scratch that. They the migrants did a wonderful job of cleaning up and feeding the prisoner and such.. but the undead attacked and the lot of them were killed... now it was just the sheriff and the criminal again.
Even when I disabled all his other jobs, the Sheriff simply refused to feed the prisoner. So when Urist McMurder was frantically hunting for vermin to eat in his cell and had 100 days left in there... I decided to let him go by deconstructing the rope.

The Sheriff happily removed the rope and then beat the everloving pigtails out of Urist McMurder.
Smells like ... corruption.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:36:00 pm by Aspgren »
I have an art blog now.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:56:20 pm »

Sounds like a model citizen to me.  :D

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »

The Sheriff happily removed the rope and then beat the everloving pigtails out of Urist McMurder.
Smells like ... corruption.
In this instance, smells like justice.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 02:42:27 pm »

Agreed.  Urist McMurder needs to meet Urist McHammerer.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 03:01:47 pm »

Agreed.  Urist McMurder needs to meet Urist McHammerer.

Agreed. Sadly, however, I figured the caverns might be a safer location to fish&cut wood than the surface. It wasn't.
The fortress has fallen but you can rest easy knowing that Urist McMurder got his comeuppance.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have an art blog now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 02:29:28 pm »

Staring into the hands of death like walking on a mirror...