Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing minimums/outfit sets?  (Read 461 times)

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothing minimums/outfit sets?
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:48:27 am »

Does anyone know some clothing outfit combinations that meet the sanity requirements? I don't think I fully understand which pieces of clothes cover what parts, and avoid which happiness problems.

As of now, I've just been queuing trousers, tunics, and shoes.

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing minimums/outfit sets?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:55:29 am »

Dwarves get negative thoughts for total nudity, no footwear, no upper body covering and no lower body covering (plus wearing old clothing). So yeah, sounds like you're set.

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:18:04 am »

What are my other options? For example, do any of those pieces cover more than one part of the body?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:31:53 am »

Robes and dresses have [LBSTEP:MAX].  So they should let you get away without pants.

I've not heard of anyone doing this though, so maybe it's bugged.  Pants science is needed.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:04:47 pm »

This bit on the wiki explains it. 

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Clothing

Tunics aren't included in the acceptable torso items, but that might just be an oversight.

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:18:11 am »

Socks, I always make sure I have a good supply of socks. That plus all the things you have mentioned seemed to keep my dwarves happy.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:17:53 pm »

Regular shoes, trousers and a robe is probably the best for a minimalist approach. Clothing does serve a purpose beyond preventing bad thoughts, it offers protection against weak attacks from animals, like belligerent overcrowded penned tame animals and tantrum dwarves throwing stuff. Footwear is needed for protection from pools of extract and whatnot.

Nobody needs socks, afaik, they were not even really invented in the timeframe of DF. Everyone just wrapped cloth around their feet. Russian soldiers used foot wraps instead of socks up until 6 months ago. Abstract that dwarves do this too and let them run around with just shoes on.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:10:40 am »

robes should provide total cover, but i tried this, and they were still unhappy about the lack of pants

in other thougths, why cant i make wooden shoes? my dad used to have wooden shoes in RL, they did annoy the hell out of everyone by being really loud, but still, it should be possible

and yeah, socks.. hm, i never make socks so most of my dwarves are wearing x(troll fur sock)x and the like..

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:14:30 pm »

Probably for the same reason you can't make stone beds.

I'm sure it would be trivial to add an item to the game that is a shoe, made from wood, and a reaction that allows said shoe to be made. Just can't be arsed to make it happen.

But yeah. Not in vanilla, nope, not doable. I don't even think you can do it with wacky mood manipulation. DFhack magic, maybe.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread