Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we were to do a PS1 outfit, what faction would we be? (Pick two if you'd simply rather not be a certain faction)

Terran Republic
- 5 (35.7%)
New Conglomerate
- 4 (28.6%)
Vanu Sovereignty
- 5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Planetside 1 Goes Free to Play (Sort-of)  (Read 1299 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Planetside 1 Goes Free to Play (Sort-of)
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:03:07 pm »

So as some of you may be aware, Planetside 1 just had it's 10th Anniversary. As a thank you to all of the fans, SOE has given a free 6 month membership to all Ps1 vets, as well as what appears to be anyone who qualified for the "loyal soldier" promotion this past month. Because of this, and the fact that many people here have problems running PS2 on their computers, I am wondering how many of you would be wanting to run a Bay 12 outfit in PS1. Now unlike PS2, there is only one server, so we shouldn't run into the "spreading to the four corners of Auraxis" problem we had with PS2. As it stands right now I have a Vanu character I'm working on if we want to go that route, the only stipulation is you need 10 players online at once to form an outfit.

To check if you qualified, go to your account on www.SOE.com and under "My Account" check Game Pass Info. If under Planetside it has "Active" or "Pending" you are good to go. The client can be downloaded from this link (Click the Direct 2 Drive scrap of paper on the upper left corner)

Even if we don't go and make an outfit, I feel it would be helpful to seperate the games into two seperate topics, because despite sharing a name and some vague similarities, they play completely different in many regards.

EDIT: It's been officially announced that anyone who at any time played Planetside 1 or 2 is going to be given this six free months. If you haven't gotten it in the next 48 hours, contact SOE support to have it granted to you.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 1 Goes Free to Play (Sort-of)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 03:47:11 am »

I wish I had more time. I can't even play Planetside 2 that much lately. *sigh*

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:00:29 pm »

Added a poll for this. Seems pops are fluctuating enough for all three empires to be a viable choice.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:17:17 pm »

Well... neat. I couldn't actually get Planetside 2 to run, at all, so... having tried and failed to do so netting a go at seeing what PS1 was like is kinda' awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll definitely be going Vanu if the thing functions on this computer. Purple is best color.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:36:03 am »

Doublepost/minor bump to say... I'm kinda' enjoying it a bit.

Have no idea what the blazes I'm doing, but apparently it's drawing killsat shots or something so I think it's a good thing? I'm finding that running around in an AA MAX is... probably the best way I can contribute at the moment. No need to aim :D

Everything kills me, though. Everything. I think I've maybe off'd five or six enemies and, uh. Probably died forty or fifty times. Or more, I'unno. It's almost embarrassing, ha.

Running around as JackThejil when I'm on, yeah. Still haven't really sussed out all the controls et al, but pointing and shooting... I can do. Sorta'. So long as they don't move and there's no allies in the way. And possibly if whatever I'm firing with is homing or AoE >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.