Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Labors, workshop profiles, and the manager  (Read 289 times)

BerenErchamion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Labors, workshop profiles, and the manager
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:56:33 am »

Let's say I have four metalsmith's forges.  Each one is assigned via workshop profiles to a couple of dwarfs exclusively.  If I order a bunch of armor via the manager, is it possible that some of that armor will be assigned to forges which I have designated for the exclusive use of dwarfs without the armoring labor enabled?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Labors, workshop profiles, and the manager
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:02:44 am »

yes.

the jobs will queue up in all forges.  If a forge is assigned only to dwarfs without the armoring job enabled, jobs will still queue up in all forges.  This will definitely clog up the flow if you're trying to have that forge automatically produce weapons as well through the manager.  However, Its possible that the weapon-forge will have its jobs canceled once the order is filled at the other forges, but I'm not sure.

For me, this typically isn't a problem since forge jobs specifies the material, so the whole thing can be controlled by setting the right jobs for the right dwarfs (and subsequently using the manager).  However, If you want one dwarf to train up his skill on cheap stuff at a particular forge, then yes, you probably won't be able to do everything through the manager.  If you're using workshop profiles (instead of labors) then to take advantage of that you need to manually queue jobs at those forges.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku