Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Community Contest- Create the Hardest Embark Ever  (Read 2799 times)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Community Contest- Create the Hardest Embark Ever
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 04:27:11 pm »

How about something similar to RockyWires?  I'm afraid it failed as a community fortress but the concept might have some potential as a challenge map.

I used modding and hack tools to create a map with a partially-hidden, infested fortress that needed the player to clear it, section by section.  RockyWires itself wouldn't work for this challenge because it would be easy to just dig in a different place, bypassing the threat entirely, but I think it has potential for fun.

It requires more time spent to set it up - I wound up using the entire spring - but it allows for scenarios that aren't possible under normal modding conditions.
I had a similar idea that's impossible to bypass by simply digging elsewhere.

Have a MASSIVE prebuilt fortress between the soil and stone layer that takes up the entire map. They need to get through this fortress dungeon layer to get to stone, and they won't have any way to dig around or otherwise avoid it.
It'll be perfectly survivable, but the growth of the fortress will be limited until the dungeon is dealt with. The challenger will be able to play it at their own pace.

There could also be multiple dungeons and multiple layers. One before the cavern layer, and one before the magma sea. You'll have a different challenge for each resource.

Sounds pretty enjoyable.  In that type of scenario, would the dungeon layers be entirely made up of constructions?  That would prevent players from digging stairs through a wall section and quickly throwing walls up around it.

A different idea along the same lines: pre-play the embark and mine all the gems, ores, and candy.  Move it into the dungeon(s) to force the reclaim to deal with the challenge.  Draining all the water on the map into a single room would be along the same lines, as long as a cavern lake doesn't go off screen.

This type of stuff is staring to remind me of the traps they put in the pyramids.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 04:48:32 pm »

I dont think that this is possible. You can dig closer to the map edge then you can build constructions, so there will always be a way around it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 04:54:19 pm »

I dont think that this is possible. You can dig closer to the map edge then you can build constructions, so there will always be a way around it.

I don't think that applies underground. I've built walls right up to the edge of the map in the caverns before. Even in the corners.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 12:46:07 am »

I don't think that applies underground. I've built walls right up to the edge of the map in the caverns before. Even in the corners.

I just tested, and you're right.  You CAN build walls right up to the edge of the map underground, including walling off the cavern layer.  I didn't know that.

Regarding what I'm now referring to as dungeon forts, I'd say that trying to game the player is a losing proposition - meaning that if you try to force the player to play by your rules, sooner or later the player will come up with a way around your restrictions.  Instead, just declaring "Here's the scenario, stay inside the rules if you want it to count" will work well enough for many players.  Leaving the player a way to do their own thing also opens it up for players to try the map without participating in the challenge, too.

However, if you're determined to do it that way, a faster way than manually excavating and building in an entire map level would be to dig out your dungeon fort, then use changelayer to make it into a stone type that has [UNDIGGABLE] set on.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:48:12 am by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 11:37:11 am »

Well the dungeon idea does have merit, although experienced players would find about 50 ways around it.

Also is anyone actually gonna sign up to create/judge in this contest?
We've went an entire page without contestants and this worries me.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 05:05:55 pm »

SOMEONE SIGN UP FOR THIS.
PLEASE?
THERES PLENTY OF !FUN! TO BE HAD.
ANYONE???

Indeed, I do this.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 10:38:28 pm »

I think that the challenge needs to change in order to attract more interest.  Right now it's a lot of modding and work; while some people are willing to put in that effort, pure difficulty isn't always the name of the game, and it's too easy to make ridiculous levels of difficulty, especially for a fort that's only supposed to run for a single year.

I'd rather make an interesting long-term challenge; it's possible that others would be more interested too.  What I've currently got in concept (not yet implemented) is an embark of dwarven heretics that I'm calling the Glass Cult.  They don't use stone - all stones are modded to evaporate instantly when mined.  All minerals are treated as gems instead (by this culture at least).  Things are made from glass (which is allowed in Masterwork, which I'd start from) or they're not made at all.  Mineral-tempered glasses result in substances similar but not quite as good as the corresponding metals, but with great effort one can make diamond crystal armor and razorglass weapons, which would sit just below adamantine.  Meanwhile, since you're members of a cult, you get no migrants, no caravan, and all other races are hostile to you (add babysnatcher tag to you, remove from everyone else).  The rules prohibit you from walling yourself in permanently, but with no incoming merchants, you're free to trap it up as much as you want - although you're not allowed to use any metal dropped by your fallen foes for anything but making mineral-tempered glass.

Now, would anyone else want to play THAT for a community challenge?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 03:09:46 pm »

I think that the challenge needs to change in order to attract more interest......
What I've currently got in concept....
Now, would anyone else want to play THAT for a community challenge?....

Hey, no advertising your concept in my concept, that just breeds hostility that fuels the kitten-fires

Indeed, I do this.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 04:12:03 pm »

I've seen a few people talk about modding embark sites and such, so the contestants are out there.

You can sign me up as a judge.  No guarantee that I'll survive a year on them all but I can give it a shot.  People who are into the "1 plump helmate" and "terrifying" embarks should be interested in judging?

Since it is just one year, things like being next to a tower probably means nothing.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50:36 pm »

Since it is just one year, things like being next to a tower probably means nothing.

hmm.....I don't know how to feel about that....kinda thinking they should be judged in different categories Ie. !FUN!-for pure difficulty, Creativity, Fun-the not on fire version, and such

Also welcome to the judges Ruhn, now to go find some damn modders, I'll prob have to post another thread in the modding section and whore myself out there :P

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 [2]