Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Avoiding insanity in defenders of early undead embark.  (Read 986 times)

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
Avoiding insanity in defenders of early undead embark.
« on: May 19, 2013, 05:41:18 pm »

Hallo there Bay12, i have a question. I've recently been trying my hand at terrifying embarks. While fun and interesting i've been having issues establishing a lasting fortress. Every time i try i end up having the Hammerdwarf i bring along for safety go insane from fighting the undead, it seems that being accosted by the living dead is more damaging by far than taking joy in slaughter. Always before i even get my first migrant wave. As such i've been wondering if anyone knows a way to keep him a bit happier and functioning rather than go nuts and leaving my embark open to undead assault.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding insanity in defenders of early undead embark.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:26 pm »

You could give him a snazzy room, lots of statues,engravings,his own dining room,office,ect. Anything that gives a dwarf a good mood hit. But for immediate happiness you are better off sealing your dwarves underground before taking on the undead.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:17:59 pm »

The trick is to move in underground and stay self-sufficient. Only let migrants in if the coast is clear.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:00:19 am »

I would give some simple mist generators a go.  Also make sure you're producing high-quality meals.  Attach personal bedrooms to the barracks.  Make sure your squads aren't carrying food so they'll eat in your legendary dining room.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 10:44:12 am »

Just like in real war, it helps to have a large supply of troops to take the mental burden, instead of just one guy carrying that huge crack on his insanity. If I'm in an undead biome, I try to switch squads around so the guys who are starting to freak out are put on city guard duty rather than topside patrol. A problem with that plan is, having a decent-enough trained group of 20-30 dwarves, who aren't instant zombiechow.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 03:14:04 pm »

The first thing to do is to seal the entrance to keep the undead away so it doesn't get any worse.  Then give the hammerdwarf a private bedroom.  Slaughter the pack animals and start making prepared meals out of them.  Build coffins/caskets and bury any dead dwarves so they don't give a bad thought.  Dig channels into the aquifer so the dwarves can collect fresh water to wash themselves.  All this can be done before you get down to business breaching your aquifer.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 03:33:44 pm »

What I usually do is channel down instantly after embark, dig out a wee pit and create a stockpile that can take everything. After you get everything in, wall off the entrance and breach the caverns. After you get some stuff established you can set up a floodgate to replace the wall to let in the inevitable waves of milkers and lye makers eager to move into your fortress of undeath. Taking the surface after all that can be damn fun. Make sure your dwarftroopers have enough shroom biscuits and moon juice otherwise they will get dehydrated before taking everything out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 03:35:29 pm »

It is also profitable to build an atom smasher if on an auto undeading biome, to avoid wads of woll, fresh skins that haven't been tanned yet, and other various "body parts" from animating and rampaging through the halls. A sealed chamber with the smasher serving as the refuse pile is just plain sensible in that kind of environment.

The trash acts up, forbid the doors, and pull the lever.

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 11:18:00 pm »

If you are fighting the undead you have lost already.

Congratulations!

If you want to prosper on a terrifying biome;

A) Build entirely underground with minimal entrances and a decent supply of wood/barrels

B)  Assign each dorf their own room with with bed, dining and chair and statue to avoid Tantrums

C) Have your trading depot serve as a airlock, put it between two Bridge/gates and never open both gates

C1)It really helps to build your entire fortress as sections having a Bridge/gate for each fork in a intersection. That way if Urist McGeezer keels over and manages to rise you can seal him off from the majority of your dorfs.

C2) If using the above be sure to set it up so that you can access various essential parts from different halls each capable of being  independently sealed. That way unless they are actually in the area you need to access you have minimal disruption

D) Assign a burrow in either the Depot room or create a secondary immigrant entrance.

E) Rename any dwarf that has managed to enter the fort, Something like Citizen-(insert profession), this is so you can atom smash the corpse quickly

F) No animals! They are merely Zombie recruits! No Magma/fire traps! Zombies burn, but never die! Spread broad not down! No matter how fast you mine something will die in the caves before you reach them. Imagine Zed!forgotten beasts and other FUN things. No Bodies! Ever! Smash and Slab them.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:28:52 pm by FalseDead »
"Ah the Internet; where the men are men, the women are also men, and the little girls are the F.B.I."

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 11:25:53 pm »

In addition to the other things, try to give your militia some civilian skills. This prevents the "Upset about being relieved of duty" thoughts.
Just tell'em to make some mugs or operate a pump or something until they're novice skill level.

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 12:22:02 am »

Found A thread I created about Terrifying biomes maybe it helps maybe it doesn't

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107323.msg3191362#msg3191362
"Ah the Internet; where the men are men, the women are also men, and the little girls are the F.B.I."