Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opponents with randomized combat skill levels?  (Read 513 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Opponents with randomized combat skill levels?
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:37:49 pm »

Normally my veterans decimate goblins, holding their own against much larger numbers.  Even against elites, they take them out within 2 pages of combat text.  However, in the last major battle, a speardwarf of mine went up against one goblin who gave him 6 pages worth of combat (checked from the goblin side to make sure it wasn't multiple enemies with the same weapon).  Do invaders come with randomized (perhaps within a set range ) of combat skill levels or did the goblin just get lucky enough to gain enough combat skill during the fight itself to last longer than normal?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Opponents with randomized combat skill levels?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:46:05 pm »

Enemies are no longer genned on the spot, but are historic figs now, much like dwarves other than the starting 7.

This means said goblin may have developed said skills during worldgen. Most rank and file goblins aren't going to be super tough, though the occasional badass will be inevitable.

This is especially true if the goblins live in a harsh environment (auto necro, for instance) or have a demon as a leader (constantly at war.)

This kind of thing will become more pronounced in the next release, if the dev logs are any indication.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:07:18 pm »

Very cool! 

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:16:43 pm »

I am excited.  As a big fan of the worldgen game I hope other civs will eventually try expanding into evil areas during worldgen.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:37:57 pm »

Speaking of expansion, it would be cool if the elves expanded into more savage areas.  I want tame giant tigers :D!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:41:45 pm »

They often do already!  Just pay more attention to worldgen (see worldgen cookbook thread), and how you pick a start location.

Try to pick a start location with a favorable elven nation in a savage biome, and they will frequently bring tamed giant creatures in cages for trade.

Getting useful pairs is sometimes difficult though, and may require some slight modifications to the vanilla raws to allow propogation in some circumstances. (In particular, egg layers.)

Overall, what you want is already doable! :D

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:59:37 pm »

I should have said "my current elves." In previous games, I had elven civs in all kinds of badass places.  Giant eagles, giant tigers, giant sloths, etc.  I wasn't paying attention to that before starting my current game :(.  The most exciting thing so far has been grizzlies.  I wish civ expansion happened outside of worldgen, too. 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:06:47 pm »

Sadly, the "time is stopped outside of embark" is still very much alive and kicking.

The currently devlogs suggest a more dynamic world in adventure mode as the current goal, and I see this as building fundamentally incremental steps toward the "combat arc" dev goals, where world activities continue during fortress mode, and where peeving off merchants has more long-lasting effects on the world stage.

I could see a short 1-year worlgen spin at the end of each year in fortress mode, so that the calclational burden isn't pernicious. (Just a little burp when it announces winter.)

No idea if that's how toady will do it though.

Eventually, dynamism in fortress mode will become a reality, we just have to be patient.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:11:29 pm »

I could see a short 1-year worlgen spin at the end of each year in fortress mode, so that the calclational burden isn't pernicious. (Just a little burp when it announces winter.)

You play with my emotions.

But the diplomat should bring it for the previous year every autumn, and even if he dies it should still happen.

Hell the diplomat is one of the least used characters in fortress mode.  He should have a whole conversation going!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:25:51 pm »

The idea is to recycle worldgen code as much as possible, to minimize development burden, and also the reduce computational loads on the computer, since an active site would be open, as well as what's required to spin the worldgen spinner.

Worldgen works on 1 year increments, not seasonal increments. That's why the end of winter makes the most sense. (End 1 fortress mode year, spin worldgen 1 year to sync, calculate current fortress's actions into the spin, write changes to world data, free memory, resume fortress mode.)

This might make things seem a little sluggish for world current events, but its better than the "inverted sleeping beauty" silliness we have now, where the whole world falls asleep for 100 years, except for one small outpost.

Regardless of how toady implements it, that dynamism is on the todo list, and judging from the rate of feature inclusion he's been doing, may be sooner than we realize.

Don't want to get hopes up, but I suspect toady is rather tired of fixing silly bugs with his time, and craves adding features as part of his developer diet.  That would certainly explain quite a few things, like beekeepers being broken through 2 releases, while we get minecarts and other fun things added. (Especially when it has been determined what the actual underlying problem with broken beekeeping is, for quite some time now!)

I can handle a few instances of dwarves planting socks in the garden, or chickens laying bees in the nest box, if it means world dynamism in fortress mode sooner.

Again, all we have to do is be patient.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 10:09:25 pm »

Goblins have variable skill levels. There's a plugin for DFHack that's like an in-game version of DT, and it covers enemies as well.

I haven't checked it out too much, but goblins can have either a smattering of combat and non-combat skills (being Adequate or so in the combat ones) or just combat skills (Proficient I've seen, nothing higher off the top of my head). They're rather similar in their skill layout to the non-historic dwarves that immigrate.

As for the non-elite goblin lasting longer than the elite ones, maybe they rolled exceptionally well for Agility or shield / armour use / dodger.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »

This is why I love this game.  random chance.  I don't particularly like it when every orc comes by with the same stats like they were cloned.
PKs DF Mod!