Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor showing equipped but actually squad doesn't have it?  (Read 441 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa

I always thought the green marker in the military equip screen was to show that the squad member had picked up that item. As I watched a marksdwarf get caught by a kobold ambush and torn to pieces (luckily survived) I wondered what was going on, as he should have been clad in full iron. I checked his inventory to see he was wearing a mail shirt and nothing else. Despite the equip screen showing green markers on all Iron pieces of equipment.
I checked a couple other marksdwarves and the same issue.
Is that not what that marker is for? I thought that was an easy way to find out which pieces of armor you needed more of.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Armor showing equipped but actually squad doesn't have it?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:32:25 am »

it is an easy marker for what you need more of. It shows what they have claimed from your stocks to use as armor, unfortunately they're a bit slow about the actually equiping of the armor
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:25:54 am »

it is an easy marker for what you need more of. It shows what they have claimed from your stocks to use as armor, unfortunately they're a bit slow about the actually equiping of the armor

They'd had the armor for months as far as I know. They'd been left to train for maybe over a year with all that armor there.
All the marks dwarfs were very under armored, even a guy whose been in the squad for like 3 years.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:00:15 am »

okay, so maybe 'a bit slow' is a bit of an understatement....

some things interfere with uniforms though. They can be quite moronic with socks and boots as well as gloves and gauntlets and a wool cap is still considered shaped and will stop them from equiping a helmet for example
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 01:50:33 pm »

Setting the uniform to 'replace clothing' fixes this for me.

Then change it back to 'over clothing' after they pick stuff up, so they don't get naked thoughts.  Or I guess you could assign socks and cloaks and stuff to the uniform, but I'm too lazy for that.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 03:08:38 pm »

As far as I know, armor counts as clothing for purposes of avoiding unhappiness, in the most recent 0.34.x versions.  You can add trousers and cloaks and so on for extra padding if you want, but it's redundant for happy-thought purposes.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 06:54:14 pm »

I wonder why my melee soldiers just automatically put on the same iron armor when assigned the uniform but the marksdwarves didn't.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 06:56:16 pm »

Armour does count as clothing, but letting dwarves wear their own clothing is insurance against weird circumstances that lead to them losing their claim on the armour at a time when you don't have enough spares. Alternatively, it's for the early game, when you don't have enough metal for full coverage.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.