Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I kill a dwarf without a military?  (Read 1170 times)

WafflesToGo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I kill a dwarf without a military?
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:08:05 am »

Hi!

For whatever reason today my dwarf fortress decided to majorly glitch out and i had a secretive mood dwarf not go to a workshop.  I tried building every workshop in the game but I could not seem to get him to goto any of them.  Right now he is in my legendary dining room with all of my dwarfs and i think he is basically a ticking time bomb waiting to explode and kill someone.  How can i kill him without a military (because i currently don't have one).  I am usually against glitching or cheating but because of the circumstances i would not be apposed to editing some files to fix the issue. Thanks!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I kill a dwarf without a military?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:24:14 am »

It's almost certain that you're just missing the correct workshop.

Check the dwarf's skill list, the highest 'moodable' skill will be it. And if they have no moodable skills, a craftsdwarf's workshop will be claimed. Make sure that the workshops are accessible and not forbidden (happens when you forbid item types from the stocks menu - if you forbid all gabbro boulders, a bowyer workshop built from gabbro will become forbidden - nobody will work there and afaik mooders can't claim it). And if you're unsure of the mood, make sure you really have them all built - including clothier (for clothesmakers and weavers), leatherworks (for leatherworker and tanner), glass furnace (not in the workshop sub-menu!) and bowyer's.

For further information, look here. There are no known bugs preventing a moody dwarf from grabbing a workshop at all.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:28:50 am »

If you still can't figure it out. Magma is a dwarves best friend

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:40:44 am »

Larix summed it up all pretty well.  All I can think of is a few bugs regarding magma forges vs regular forges, although if you don't have magma forges then there won't be a problem.

But yeah.  Check his skills, check the workshops aren't forbidden.  Know which skills are moodable.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

WafflesToGo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:50:56 am »

his best skill was masonry and i had 4 free workshops... i just made a one man military and killed him :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:03:22 am »

...Loyalty Spiral time?

WafflesToGo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:04:42 am »

yes -_-

Dorflord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 10:39:15 am »

yes -_-

I hate myself for chuckling, but I think nearly everyone has experienced the loyalty cascade in about the same manner.
To kill a dwarf from your group, you must be a tad more clever, since the game tracks enemies to your civilization in a rather wonky manner. The "M" word has already been stated, but I've always been partial to the retracting bridge over troubled crundles.
Those dwarves were DOOMED to murder each other horribly, because they became friends!
Unlike in My Little Pony Land, where Friendship is Magic!(tm), This is Dwarf Fortress, where Friendship is TRAGIC!(tm)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 11:19:48 am »

If you happen to have a save and want to know what was going on, both dfhack and dwarftherapist can tell you what kind of workshop and materials are needed.

I don't think a bridge will be easy as afaik moody dwarfs don't follow orders anymore, and I assume that they can't be drafted in the military.  I think I would just wall him in and make a nice resting place for him in the middle of your dining hall.

Dorflord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 01:13:58 pm »

If you happen to have a save and want to know what was going on, both dfhack and dwarftherapist can tell you what kind of workshop and materials are needed.

I don't think a bridge will be easy as afaik moody dwarfs don't follow orders anymore, and I assume that they can't be drafted in the military.  I think I would just wall him in and make a nice resting place for him in the middle of your dining hall.

I meant for killing them off in general, for moody dwarfs, I usually assign them one of my many tamed rutherers as a pet. If he succeeds, he gets to walk around with a brutish cave monster, if he fails (and doesn't just strip naked and run around or off himself) said cave monster usually traumatically relocates the dwarf's head
Those dwarves were DOOMED to murder each other horribly, because they became friends!
Unlike in My Little Pony Land, where Friendship is Magic!(tm), This is Dwarf Fortress, where Friendship is TRAGIC!(tm)

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 01:32:51 pm »

I would have suggested that unless you need that area of your fortress for the next few seasons I would suggest setting the doors to the hall as forbidden passage after getting all of your dwarves out. All you have to do after that is wait for him to starve to death. Once that happens you can just bury him and get on with having fun :D. Also if it doesn't have doors just put in some walls to bar off the area.

Alternatively if you really need that area you could always just wall him in to a small area like vanetteveldt suggested. I would recommend wooden walls since wooden walls go up quickly, and put in a door for easy access after death(you can always just forbid it once you put it in place).
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »

That's all way too much effort for a simple maddwarf. An insane dwarf only really is problematic when they're berserk (about 1/3 chance) _and_ are carrying a weapon they're skilled in - miners, hunters and trained militiamembers. If i'm _expecting_ a dwarf to go insane, the most i'll do is station some war dogs near them. That keeps 'em occupied and tied down until the medical corps comes along and sedates them.

A save of the OP's fort pre-murder would have been interesting, to poke around and see what went wrong.