Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Download Question  (Read 533 times)

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Download Question
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:07:56 am »

I wasn't totally sure if this should be where it is, or go under modding  ::)
Whenever I try to download a mod, it always opens it in Adobe Reader (Which obviously wouldn't work). How do I switch the program it opens in so it WILL work?  :-\

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Download Question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 08:44:49 am »

What's the file extension of the file it's opening?
If it's a .rar or .zip, you should open it in WinRar or some similar program.

To change the default program, right click the file, select Open With > Other Program, select WinRar, and check "Always use for this type of file"

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:58:42 am »

Is there some place I can install that without having to also install about 5 toolbars?... >_>

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:08:03 am »

If it's a .zip, then all (reasonably extant versions of) Windows should have been able to handle it without WinRar, WinZip or any other third-party compressor/decompressor program.

.rar files do need something 3rd party, I think still, but not tried them on Win8, nor possibly Win7, so that may have changed, but WinRar is generally the way round it, and whether the installation 'grabs' .zip and all the other compressed file-types depends on the installer itself, and possibly whether you chose a Custom install.  It's different on non-Windows systems, but that way lies madness of waffle, in the absence of further information, so I'll assume we don't need to discuss that, right now. ;)

However, that slight pedantry aside, I suspect that whatever the format you downloaded it wasn't a supported extension (maybe a .rar, without WinRar installed?), and as Adobe Reader is alphabetically pretty much guaranteed near the top of any list of "suggested programs to use" that your particular flavour of Windows, probably the first time you tried to open the unknown-extensioned file you (deliberately or otherwise) took Adobe as the thing to open it with and did not untick the "always use this program" option (or equivalent).

What Rydel gives as the solution will work, but personally I'd either go into the registry or your Windows version's equivalent of "Folder Options | File Types", find the registered file type involved[1] and remove the erroneous entry (and any others that I would know had been badly assigned, if I had the time and patience), just to keep things neat.  Then work out what program to use and proceed accordingly.  More effort needed, but that's my approach.  Installing the 'correct' program should work, but some of them are actually friendly enough not to grab their own extensions unconditionally if they're already grabbed by something else.  (Perhaps the best middle-ground is as is done by the ones which add "Open with <foo>" to the context menu, but would leave existing default "Open" and other "Open with..."s.  Still needs you to meddle, perhaps redo the default and shuffle the context menu around under the given File Type advanced options.)

If you're not confident with editing the registry then avoid doing that, of course.  Less damaging (but you can still disassociate the wrong things if not careful) is the Tools|File Types editor, but this tends to differ more in look and feel, on each subsequent version of Windows, than regedit does, so you might get lost or slightly unsure if you're trying to follow my XP-inspired descriptions.

Sorry, that was longer than intended.  Still, hope it helps and doesn't confuse too much.  Nor that some other pedant can find too much wrong with my attempt at an abbreviated summary. ;) (However, if anyone does see a problem, please do follow-up.  I'm not too proud to be corrected on such matters!)

Ah, Ninjaed by yourself.  Asking about WinRAR?  Wouldn't know.  I don't use it.  Except that on every (legit!) installer that I know, any attempt to install toolbars (usually just one at a time) should be accompanied by a "Do not install toolbars" option (although that's usually ticked by default (edit: or, rather "Install toolbars" is ticked by default!  You'd have to untick that...), for obvious business reasons on behalf of the package supplier).  If you're not getting that, or indeed if you are getting five toolbars at once, then I would instinctively mistrust the installer you have.  ICBW, and it could just be agressive.

If you're getting toolbars added from the website you're getting it from, then I'd avoid that website.  Or try to differentiate from the "Download the package you want" button and the "Download something that will perhaps help you download what you want" button, which some websites seem to have, as slight camouflage for their own version of pesterware (or, again, something 3d-party that they're on commission with).  Horrible practice, but I can see why they do it, and many other similar things with similar degrees of subterfuge.

However, do you want to tell us if it's a .rar file you have?  Might help solidify whether WinRar is what you need.

[1] You may or may not know this, if "Tools | Folder Options | View | Advanced Settings" (or the equivalent, for your version of Windows/explorer) has "Hide extensions for known file types" set.  Being now associated, a ".rnd" random extension will now not show up and you might have to go into properties, or trace what file type(s) are called "<Foo> document" or "<Bar> file" in Details view...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:14:43 pm by Starver »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:14:44 pm »

7-Zip is pretty good. Extracting files is a one-click process, and neither the program nor the download site given will bother you with addons or present the download link in plain text while loudly advertising download managers.

Also, if clicking directly on the download link tries to open it, right-click and save.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:14:23 pm »

7-Zip is pretty good. Extracting files is a one-click process, and neither the program nor the download site given will bother you with addons or present the download link in plain text while loudly advertising download managers.

Also, if clicking directly on the download link tries to open it, right-click and save.

I would definately vote for 7-zip as a free, reliable, effective and safe program. No toolbars, just download and run.

.rar and .zip files are compressed files, so they need to be unzipped by a program such as 7-zip.
Old and cringe account. Disregard.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 04:33:13 pm »

I'm using 7-zip myself, no complaints and no worries. Oracle and adobe are worse than 7zip
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 05:20:44 pm »

I'm trying to download the Warhammer 40k Underhive settlement mod, ASCII Version. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120494.0
I believe it's a .rar but I'm not totally sure.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:07 pm »

I don't think WinRar comes with any toolbars packaged with it.  Are you downloading it from rarlabs.com?
If it does, you can just uncheck them.

One of the nice features of WinRar is that it adds some options to the Right-click menu in explorer, which makes extracting and creating archives easy.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 05:27:10 pm »

Yep, that is a .rar, so you'll need WinRAR or 7-Zip.  (I personally like 7-Zip better -- and it adds to the right-click menu as well.)
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 05:45:36 pm »

I'm using 7-zip myself, no complaints and no worries. Oracle and adobe are worse than 7zip

I'll support 7Zip, even though it's been ages since I've used it (in fact, I think I reverted to using PKZip from the command-line, for the .zip compression format, and the equivalent command-line utilities for other packings, but that's just me and my command-line fetish).  But I'll repeat that for .zip files you probably don't need a 3rd-party utility.  Modern (post-millennial, at least) Windows versions will open them as virtual folders, you can extract them to real folders/directories[1] and you can create them.  Not with the fine control (intensity of compression, only files with "Archive" flag set, files newer than a certain date, etc) of the 3rd-party GUI or command-line archivers/de-archivers, of course, but sufficient.

Oracle?  Apart from the obvious (see next comment if that's what you mean), I've never heard of an Oracle unzipper/whateverer.  And Adobe is the maker/maintainer of Acrobat Writer/Reader, Flash Player, etc, etc and I don't know of any software of theirs that is an unzipper/whateverer in its own right.

I know from experience that if someone gets a file with an unknown extension (.docx, for someone with Office 2003 (unenhanced!), or strange .001, .002, etc files, e.g. from a splitter/multi-part archival program) they're likely to (knowingly or not) try the first program on the "What do you want to open this strange file with?" dialogue, and leave the "Always use this program" tickbox ticked.  And Adobe Acrobat of some form (the Reader, often) tends to be the first item.  And so now they're stuck with that trying to open it.  Despite Acrobat Reader really only being useful for .pdf files (and maybe some other related types).  And if they've got Reader installed then it's odds on that .pdf files are already linked to that and didn't need setting up by the user, and if they aren't linked to Reader (or the full Writer version) then they've probably not even got Acrobat support and need to go to get.adobe.com[2] to get it.

But that's just me whining on about technical things again.  It's all useless unless we know whether the mod is a .zip (unlikely), a .rar (probably... needs WinRAR or some other app that has internal ability to unRAR, or can be linked to the separately available unRAR command-line utility) or even something like .tar.gz or .tgz (unlikely in this case, but a fairly common archive, amongst several related ones, for source files/etc normally only used on *nix systems).

Ah, ninja*3 to reveal that it's a .rar after all.  EvilBob22 and Rydel are probably right in what they say.  (But last time I used a machine with WinRAR on it too had added to the right-click menu, so I don't think that's a differentiating factor between that and 7Z.  Interface differences are probably more the clincher, and a personal choice at that.)

[1] And probably will have to if you've got a .exe you want to run that needs a .dll also packed alongside it, unless Windows has gotten smarter about that recently.

[2] I know there are other .pdf readers (and sometimes writers), like Foxit.  Most of the time I'd stick to Acrobat, however.  I'd create .PDFs through the option given in Open/LibreOffice, if I hadn't got full Acrobat set up with its own converter, but for reading a PDF I'm happier (albeit a slave to the Big Corporation, that is Adobe) by using the 'real thing'.

seristal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 05:52:42 pm »

Alright, thanks for all the help! I have everything downloaded and there doesn't appear to be any problems. One more question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but for the Warhammer ASCII version, do I replace the old raws and data with the new ones, or insert them into the old ones?  :D

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 05:57:40 pm »

You may need to ask that question on the Warhammer thread, but I'm guessing they are added to the existing raws.  You may want to make a backup copy of your existing raws first anyway, just in case.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.