Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graphics Mods?  (Read 659 times)

d_V

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Graphics Mods?
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:08:12 am »

Hey there.

Dwarf Fortress is awesome, have to say: what an incredible game. I'll always remember my first game, and not knowing wtf to do and getting all seven dwarves beaten to death by a river by a sasquatch (or bigfoot or wookiee, I forget - it was years ago). Luckily, having played numerous dungeon crawls, I thought this was par for course and a decent game.

Anyway, I'm back!

But, newb as I am, I really wanted representative icons for my playthroughs on this game; the only thing that ever bugged me about dungeon crawlers was never the random deaths, the OP enemies, the completely absent tool tips, the learning cliff, or resentfully expressed lack of f**ks given by the game or its creators, but the ASCII 'graphics' where one time an e is an eel, and you step on it, and the next time, the e is an elf, and it cuts your arms off and kills you on an altar to your own god.

Okay, shutting up.

Summary: 3D/nice looking mods that work with current DF versions?

d_V

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Mods?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 02:11:52 am »

Awesome. Thank you!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 02:14:43 am »

Hi d_v, I'm Mark White.
Today I will be helping you through our forum structure. Day12 is a wonderful place to meet friends and talk about the worlds greatest first person shooter,  Dwarf Battlements, but it has its subforums that you should know about! You are currently in the Emotions and Fandom subforum, dedicated to talking about how we feel. For inquiries about graphical modifications to Dwarf Battlements, try the DF Gameplay Questions subforum. Have a nice stay!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 11:36:52 am »

Hi d_v, I'm Mark White.
Today I will be helping you through our forum structure. Day12 is a wonderful place to meet friends and talk about the worlds greatest first person shooter,  Dwarf Battlements, but it has its subforums that you should know about! You are currently in the Emotions and Fandom subforum, dedicated to talking about how we feel. For inquiries about graphical modifications to Dwarf Battlements, try the DF Gameplay Questions subforum. Have a nice stay!

Translation: You might want to move this topic to DF Gameplay Questions, by clicking the move topic button somewhere on the bottom, I think.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

d_V

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:45:21 pm »

Will do, thanks for being kind to the newb, folks.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:01:39 am »

My favorite problem with the ascii graphics is that a dark red g is both a macegoblin and a goat kid. I still stick to it, since I'm used to it now, but I completely understand your point.

A small note for future questions: when you have a problem it helps if you tell in advance of any mods you are using and graphic packs count as mods too. Very short or simple questions can be put in the questions and answers thread. It was suggested to sticky it but it rarely leaves the first page anyway. I also highly recommend the wiki, which has way more info than just a few descriptions. Next I would like to point out that you're unlikely to be the first to have a specific problem and the forum search function is your friend there. Lastly I would like to point out the bugtracker and, more importantly, the rules around the bugtracker. Mostly, check with other people on various subforums if it's a bug or you screwing up, is it a known bug or a new one, etc

Above comment isn't specifically to you btw, I just post this every few months in a "hi I'm new" sort of post in the hope enough people who didn't know read it so that it helps reducing the clutter and you're the lucky one!

Great huh?

welcome to DF btw, you sound like you'll enjoy it   ;D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:38:27 am »

But, newb as I am, I really wanted representative icons for my playthroughs on this game; the only thing that ever bugged me about dungeon crawlers was never the random deaths, the OP enemies, the completely absent tool tips, the learning cliff, or resentfully expressed lack of f**ks given by the game or its creators, but the ASCII 'graphics' where one time an e is an eel, and you step on it, and the next time, the e is an elf, and it cuts your arms off and kills you on an altar to your own god.

Okay, shutting up.

Summary: 3D/nice looking mods that work with current DF versions?
Colors help with that to some extent. While I understand this concern, the flip side is that we have centuries of development time making letters distinguishable from one another and a lifetime of training in their recognition!

The (IMO) best graphics I've seen for, for example, nethack were fundamentally still letter based; most of the tiles simply stylized the letters, shaping / coloring / decorating them to provide more detail. The colors were well-done too, providing a second "dimension" of ways to glean information from the tile: that blue 'h'? It's a basic everyday dwarf. The "h" in speckled grayish colors? That's a dwarf mummy: speckled grayish monsters are all undead. That bright purple colored h with a crown on top? Purple is scary and the crown is a higher level version -- that's a master mind flayer you should avoid. ("h" is for "humanoid" in nethack)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:41:09 am by Hurkyl »