Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do i make a drowning chamber?  (Read 626 times)

Heclapar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do i make a drowning chamber?
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:51:22 am »

So i know how to make floodgates,i know how to seal an area off from the other parts of the fort, and i know how to get to the water.What i dont know is how to build the floodgate.If i dig to the water,it will flood everything before i have the chance to build the floodgate.If i build it before that and get a miner to dig the last block, he will drown.So how do i do it if the water doesnt freeze in winter  :-\

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: How do i make a drowning chamber?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:57:03 am »

Leave one block unmined between your chamber and the water source. Set up floodgates (reccomned a double gate fr reasons of safety, and also placing the levers far away from anywhere likley to get flooded), then channel away the last tile from above. This does leave a route into your fort for awkward building destroyers who dont need to breathe, so you might want to add a fortification in the water flow channel, as unlike grates or bars they can not yet be destroyed.
This is a blank sig.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:16:16 am »

I'd recommend a raising bridge exactly for those security reasons as it usually doesn't get destroyed. Also, if you dig the last tile from the tunnel, you can just let the dwarf walk or be swept past your flow-stopper, close it and retrieve dwarf. Don't forget that anything with water also needs a way to drain the whole system in case of repairs or if something gets stuck in there
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Heclapar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 04:24:10 am »

Thanks guys,works perfectly (and no one drowned in the construction)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 06:22:14 pm »

(and no one drowned in the construction)

Sounds to m like you might've messed up somewhere along the line..
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:51:40 am »

If you don't want to mess with pumps, I highly recommend using gravity to get water in and out fast.  For draining, you can use fortifications to protect hatch covers from building destroyers.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 03:53:50 pm »

If you don't want to mess with pumps, I highly recommend using gravity to get water in and out fast.  For draining, you can use fortifications to protect hatch covers from building destroyers.

Can't swimmers still cross fortifications with 7/7 water on them?  Probably safer to use drawbridges.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:56:27 pm »

Can't swimmers still cross fortifications with 7/7 water on them?  Probably safer to use drawbridges.
perhaps, but there are very few aquatic creatures with building destroyer 2, its rarely an issue with goblins.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 12:10:41 am »

It only takes one titan or forgotten beast getting into the heart of the fortress.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:08:04 am »

It only takes one titan or forgotten beast getting into the heart of the fortress.

True, but that's what your military is for, and they won't swim through your fortifications if you don't try to drown them.  Plus, on the offchance that you do get that crazy, extract-spitting, flying aquatic buildingdestroyer megabeast, wouldn't you WANT your fortress to have a slight security flaw for them to exploit?   :D
Thoughts on water