Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One-hour interview with Toady  (Read 1960 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
One-hour interview with Toady
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »

That's right, it's yet another interview! Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trXGmjLz1lk

The interviewer plays Dwarf Fortress during the interview, which turned out pretty good I think. Highlights include:
  • ideas for the fifth dimension
  • multiplayer plans
  • possible afterlives
  • Toady laughing about dying adventurers
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:24:37 pm by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One-hour interview with Toady
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:18:58 pm »

Yay!

Not quite sure what I should say other then that.....
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 03:57:07 pm »

Very poor quality Video overall. Always love hearing ToadyOne talk about dwarf fortress, but if I were doing an interview with someone I would want enough respect where the person doing interview TRIED to make the interview audible. Disgraceful.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 06:38:56 pm »

It has a weird ending but Toadys evil laugh is strangely comforting. Most of my IRL friends don't like me talking about DF so any proof that I am not the only person who finds that kind of stuff funny is good.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 06:10:08 am »

I wanted to listen but gave up. Maybe it can be redone with some better volume balance between the two voices.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:10:48 am »

I wanted to listen but gave up. Maybe it can be redone with some better volume balance between the two voices.
Aw, c'mon guys! Be more positive!
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 01:27:22 am »

I could have been a lot more negative :P I just figured there wasn't going to be much new that I didn't already know about that would justify the extra effort.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 03:56:01 am »

You can just tune it so you can only hear Toady. Nothing the other guy says really matters.
I could have been a lot more negative :P I just figured there wasn't going to be much new that I didn't already know about that would justify the extra effort.
If you follow the word of Toad religiously, I don't think there was. But there was stuff he talks about very infrequently, it wasn't one of those interviews where they just go over the basics of what DF is.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 09:34:11 am »

I enjoyed the interview. Then again, I enjoy every interview Toady gives. I agree the interviewer was hard to hear at times, but he asked more of the sorts of questions I've been hoping for. I agree that it wasn't really new information, as Toady's spoken about alternate dimensions before, but if people don't follow the development logs religiously there might be small surprises. He also rehashes the features of the next release briefly, which might come as a mild surprise if you haven't been paying attention. The footprints in the stealth mechanics come to mind.

My biggest complaint is the cut off at the end. Toady was just starting to talk about perhaps adding in a few small improvements to the UI in the customary bug fixing arc that follows major releases when the video cut off. Annoying, as I was hoping he would mention what particular problems he is looking at.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:45:49 am by Taffer »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 09:47:23 am »

I enjoyed the interview. Then again, I enjoy every interview Toady gives. I agree the interviewer was hard to hear at times, but he asked more of the sorts of questions I've been hoping for. I agree that it wasn't really new information, as Toady's spoken about alternate dimensions before, but if people don't follow the development logs religiously there might be small surprises. He also rehashes the features of the next release, which might come as a mild surprise if you haven't been paying attention. The footprints in the stealth mechanics come to mind.

My biggest complaint is the cut off at the end. Toady was just starting to talk about perhaps adding in a few small improvements to the UI in the customary bug fixing arc that follows major releases when the video cut off. Annoying, as I was hoping he would mention what particular problems he is looking at.

Right with you here.  It was a nice video, and great to hear Toady talking about a game in progress.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...