Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Live Training  (Read 752 times)

human_dictionary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Live Training
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:29:42 pm »

i just started a new fort (I'm still relatively new to this) and i heard about people who trap animals like fleshballs to practice live training on them.

1. could someone give me a list on what animals are good for live training and for which weapons (preferably harmless ones, **FUN** management is not one of my strong points)

2. how do i capture wild animals, especially in caves?

3. how do i setup a room for live training?

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Live Training
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 02:15:01 pm »

1. It's hard to list them all because it depends on how your dwarves are armed and armoured. Most surface wildlife is okay, and invaders such as goblins that you've stripped of weapons. Flesh balls are good because they take forever to die, which is the main drawback of most live training exercises.

2. Make a cage and a mechanism. Build a cage trap somewhere. Wait for something interesting to stand on the trap. You now have a captive. There are methods for getting things to stand on them faster - build lots of them, build walls across areas so they have to path across the traps to get to other areas, if they're building destroyers you can coax them in with succulent furniture - but that's the gist.

3. Build a lever, build the cage with the animal in you want to train against. Link the lever to the cage. Station your dwarves next to the cage. Pull the lever. Having a strategy for getting wounded dwarves out and the training dummy back into its cage is a plus.

See also.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:25 pm »

Look up "mass pitting" on the wiki.  Basically what you do is set up an "animal stockpile" (which is actually a cage stockpile -- be sure to disable empty cages and create a stockpile elsewhere for those) one floor above a killing room.  The killing room should have airlock-style drawbridges so that troops can assemble and get organized before you start training.  The upstairs animal stockpile should have holes in the floor with floor hatches over them, laid out such that every cage is adjacent to a hole.  The holes are designated as a "pit" area.  You then assign caged creatures to the pit, as many as you want at a time.  (For goblins you will want to disarm them first.  Perhaps leave their armor on, so they last longer.)  When your troops are ready in the airlock, open the gate to the killing room.  Once they have killed all the beasts, you can either drop some more beasts in there for a second round, or dismiss the troops and open both airlocks for the cleaning crew.

Variations on this design also make it possible to use the killing room for archery training, too.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:35:27 am »

captured trolls are pretty decent for marksdwarf training.  If you're going to do live training for melee troops, it is strongly recommended to give them wooden training weapons, but you must remember they won't be able to respond to threats quickly, so try not to have all your dwarfs using training weapons at the same time.  Captured and disarmed goblins are fine for this.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku