Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish  (Read 889 times)

The Furious Attic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fish
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:10:17 am »

Sometimes, when i pause during an elven ambush, i like to see how many z-levels above me is something flying.
And when i do that, there are constantly fish in the air, even though there is no river or lake or river.
Why?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:08:47 am by The Furious Attic »
»Rat je, bratjo, rat junaci,
Pušku hvataj, sablju paši,
Sedlaj konjče, hajd pešjaci,
Slava budi, gdi su naši!«

~Antun Mihanović, Horvatska domovina

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Fish
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:19:19 am »

what kind of fish? there are also vermin birds that could be flying up there
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:20:49 am »

Did you ever edit anything in the raws?
I think you can fix this problem by editing the raws for all the fish.
I am sure there is an easier way to do this, considering I have seen many people have this problem. If nobody else knows a different solution, then I guess you have to find all species of fish and delete the [FLY] tag.
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:21:21 am »

At a guess it's probably a lungfish - a type of flying aquatic vermin.

The Furious Attic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:54:59 am »

Carp.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 10:13:07 am »

Obviously they're annoyed that they're not considered as dangerous as they used to be, so they've added a new trick to their repertoire.

The Furious Attic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 10:45:47 am »

Haven't edited anything.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 05:02:26 pm »

Haven't edited anything.
What fish is it?
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 05:25:53 pm »

Haven't edited anything.
What fish is it?

to reply for OP:

Carp.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a joke, tbh
I havn't heard of anything like this before, it does sound like a mod or someone messing with raws
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 07:15:53 pm »

Regarding the flying fish, a lot of the fishable creatures are classed as vermin. These guys just sort of spawn in and out of existence, the game doesn't treat them strictly as creatures for most purposes, and in the case of vermin fish, it is in fact possible for them to just show up in midair, defying the laws of physics. It's harmless, just accept it and laugh, and welcome our new lungfish overlords.

Regarding the carp... in an earlier version, physical attributes were trained rapidly by swimming, even for aquatic creatures, who were in the water and swimming nonstop. So they were almost always massive beasts in combat, especially the carp, who were very large and could shake dwarves around with their bite attack and rip off limbs, or drag them into the water and drown them. They have also been known to jump out of the water and attack dwarves who wander too close. It became sort of a meme because of how dangerous they were. There's a quote by the Toad himself, stating "I think I made the fish a bit too hardcore."
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 03:03:15 am »

that was some versions ago. Their aggressiveness at least has been toned down

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 09:08:44 am »

Regarding the carp... in an earlier version, physical attributes were trained rapidly by swimming, even for aquatic creatures, who were in the water and swimming nonstop. So they were almost always massive beasts in combat, especially the carp, who were very large and could shake dwarves around with their bite attack and rip off limbs, or drag them into the water and drown them. They have also been known to jump out of the water and attack dwarves who wander too close. It became sort of a meme because of how dangerous they were. There's a quote by the Toad himself, stating "I think I made the fish a bit too hardcore."

is this confirmed (the bit about physical attributes) ?  can creatures without [CAN_LEARN] have physical attributes increased?  The carp isn't gaining any skill levels.  I thought it was some issue with the carps bite attack in the raws being specifically powerful.  The other issue with carp is that they are large creatures, not vermin.  They would flee from dwarves but since they're in a riverbed they always are trapped.  Fisherdwarves (not even fishing for carp) and those drawing water from a river would be attacked and often dragged into the water.  The streams ran red with blood.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 11:07:26 am »

actually, I remember reading about it. In the original stuff (first time the issue came up) the bite was quite strong, the carp relatively large compared to a dwarf and, most importantly, carp had a carnivorous tag, like alligators, cave crocs and cave spiders, so they actively went hunting for dwarfs they saw. Next thing that happened was dwarfs being dragged or dodging into the river where they were savaged and torn apart since they could hardly fight back anymore, bad swimmers as they are

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 11:17:11 am »

I have seen lungfish spawn in the air.  They're a type of "vermin" from the game's perspective.  "Vermin" just pop in and out of existence, being too small to have a persistent physical model in the game universe.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 12:48:27 pm »

also as for the lungfish, I think the mid-air lungfish happen when you have water water on multiple z-levels, like a waterfall.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku