Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cave spider silk factory  (Read 4828 times)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave spider silk factory
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 11:13:13 am »

t. I don't even think that my design has a valid path between my spiders and my bait, all doors are forbidden and the mongoose is pitted from a level up. - If a wild wolf doesn't work for you try pitting a goblin as a bait.
I can verify that now. GCS reverted back to wild and started to attack a chained tame giant raven, through fortifications with no paths to the Raven.
Dog on the other side is in peace, though he can be pathed to.

I left the corridor to the Raven open to dwarves, with no traps on it, so far they've been getting the silk from there,
and not getting blown through the fortifications though there's traps on the other side and the GCS is spitting quite a lot at them.

It seems it may be quite a rare stumble, if one gets pulled by the web through fortifications to a web covered cage traps.
But they don't seem to be pushed by webbing to similarly web covered cage traps.

Anyway, hoping to get some FBs caged next, or failing that, HFS caged.
I would like more GCS's though... Both trained and wild.

As for worrying about cats killing GCS, I think I once did have a hard-ass cat that killed one.
He had earned a name, or did by doing so. Hunted all the spiders extinct... nowadays I don't let the cats out until I have caged a GCS.

...And seems that it was a bad idea to allow dwarves to the adjacent 1-fort-away -corridor to collect the silk, as one just shot the spiders' brains out..
2 forts away(with spiderannoyer-pet corridor) seems to be safe, thus far.
And I must add, that I don't recommend any traps on the 1-fort-away adjacent corridor, next to GCS, as they seem to only cause trouble if any dwarf
comes close to them or you need to switch the animals the GCS is attacking.  Again, beware hunters and military doing the job.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:34:05 am by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave spider silk factory
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 12:59:07 pm »

Webbers will fire at things they cannot path to.  I think this change happened in the updates following DF2012.

IMO just tame the GCS, keep it pastured or on a chain, and have a personal animal trainer assigned to it.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 2 [3]