Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So how does one tame?  (Read 785 times)

neophyteelite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So how does one tame?
« on: May 05, 2013, 12:56:43 pm »

Alright, I give up.  I've got to be missing something obvious.  How do you tame, well, anything?

I've set a bunch of cage traps outside, and to my surprise I caught some ... stuff!  And not the stab-you-to-death kobold kind!  I hauled in 3 ravens and 2 wolverines.  Fantastic.  But now they're sitting in an animal stockpile in their cages in the corner of a room, and they're getting dusty.  With an influx of immigrants I now have the idle hands to spend time taming/training some wildlife.  I have a kennel, I have a training pasture, I have dwarfs with the Animal Trainer skill, but how do I actually tame the creatures?  There is no option in the kennels for anything but taming small creatures (which I understand is a reference to vermin).

I like to think I know a little bit about DF but every time I think "I got this", something like this crops up.  So for the sake of my sanity could you please spell it out in a very newbie step-by-step way?  Thanks.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: So how does one tame?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:01:35 pm »

short answer:  z menu, animals tab

detailed newbie friendly answer:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tame_animals

neophyteelite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 01:24:56 pm »

Thank you.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 02:53:09 pm »

in general, the wiki can answer most 'simple' questions. I actually play with it open, even though I usually don't need it (anymore). It just became a habit from when I just started
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 10:10:12 pm »

in general, the wiki can answer most 'simple' questions. I actually play with it open, even though I usually don't need it (anymore). It just became a habit from when I just started

Yeah, this is generally a good idea. The community has been awesome about filling the wiki. I haven't seen a stub in awhile.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 11:05:41 pm »

Ah, press t for train while in the z-menu...
Time to train up some keas.  Actually, better start with ravens...
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"