Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart Troubleshooting  (Read 618 times)

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecart Troubleshooting
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:02:00 pm »

I've come back to DF after a year-long hiatus, and I've been working out the whole minecart thing. I'm trying to use a track that I built that goes up 9 levels and turns twice as part of it (I remembered to put the corners on flat bits). I think the track itself is fine, and I have one stop at each end that I believe I've set up correctly (leave when full in the correct direction, with the correct contents (booze and prepared meals, in this case) enabled).

My dwarves aren't generating a job to guide the minecart although it is both full and at the first stop. Does the path need to be complete before they'll start? Do I need to add stops at the corners for them to guide it around? I've fiddled with this for a couple hours now to no effect.

EDIT: oops, this ought to be in gameplay questions. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:46:11 am by MindSnap »

Waterlimon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:18:19 am »

You need to set up a hauling route between the stops i believe.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:57:19 am »

The track on different z-levels is connected with track ramps, right? If yes, check them; track carving designation can act a bit weirdly. If the track is constructed, not carved, this shouldn't be an issue. But if that was the problem, there would be the Set dir/connect track error, I think.

Try changing the stop settings from "when full of desired items" to "when full of any items". The dwarves will still load the minecart with what you want.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:55:15 pm »

Thank you Hetairos! Changing it to "any items" fixed it for me, and my little system immediately started working. And it turns out that I didn't need any intermediate stops after all, just one at each end.
Thanks again!