Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: LazyNewbPack vs "Ubuntu 12.10 HeadScratchNewbPack"  (Read 2158 times)

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: LazyNewbPack vs "Ubuntu 12.10 HeadScratchNewbPack"
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 02:26:11 pm »

Dude, just get Wine. Set up a (windows) version of df and dt to run with wine. place on home page. STIRKE THE EARTH!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 02:27:50 pm »

Oh, and i don't know if you can run LNP on Wine. I just use a pre installeed graphic pack on mine...

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 05:35:22 am »

I forgot about this thread but I finally ran DF fine. I simply didn't realise that the dfhack script must run in a terminal  :P. Still no luck with dwarf therapist but the ingame labor manager is enough for me, most of the time I only pick idling dwarves for jobs anyway.

For some unscientific testing, I have an old fort with tons of blood spatter, way too much rotten clothing, a catsplotion and a diverted river (so your typical dwarven settlement). I installed dfhack on both builds.
- FPS on windows 7 (max cpu) : 38
- FPS on Ubuntu w/ Unity : 48

With WINE, it's unplayable. I have a weird keyboard bug that feeds random commands to DF, I tried adv mode and my adv ran around like the game played itself. Loading was slow too, perhaps because the windows build ran from an ntfs partition.

The biggest issue so far is that Ubuntu block the ALT key. If it can't be remapped, the alternative is to log in a gnome session instead of Unity. It's more an issue in adv mode then in fort. Full screen seemed to break input too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:38:52 am by Boltgun »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 05:51:14 am »

The biggest issue so far is that Ubuntu block the ALT key. If it can't be remapped, the alternative is to log in a gnome session instead of Unity. It's more an issue in adv mode then in fort. Full screen seemed to break input too.
You can remap the keys with (ESC) - Key Bindings.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 06:36:49 pm »

The biggest issue so far is that Ubuntu block the ALT key.

Ah! Is that what it is, I just thought I was doing Alt+s wrong... normally I don't build slabs but did a reclaim... fun times.

For therapist, I built it with the instructions on the therapist wiki and run with sudo to get past ubuntu's new memory security that will throw up ptrace errors.
It's a bit hit and miss sometimes but I can't play without it... even with dfhack's ingame labor because I like to match preferences and talent to jobs, esp for the military I only take the highest potential candidates. Hard to do that with the ingame view.

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 06:49:29 pm »

While not exactly a Lazy New Pack for Linux, I've started a new project to resolve all this maddening issues around getting DF and tools running on Linux. Its working well on Fedora, but I need some help from people on other distros to test it and report bugs!

Dwarf Fortress Bootstrap - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125817.0
Pages: 1 [2]