Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sad overseer is sad (Dwarves not forging)  (Read 889 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Sad overseer is sad (Dwarves not forging)
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:51:31 pm »

Long story short: Dwarves with all metalworking labors turned on, idling, instead of forging iron minecart. Fuel and iron bars available, no burrow restrictions, pathing confirmed, I've even gone through the manager and tried affecting priority, as well as disabling all non-metal labors. I can get them to burn wood, smelt iron, but they won't do anything with the forge. What gives?

I really hope this isn't part of the "dwarves won't touch a traditional furnace after you've built a magma furnace once" problem, because that's the whole reason I NEED to smelt said minecart, to get the required magma up to the forges.

Stupid dwarves.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sad overseer is sad (Dwarves not forging)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:57:31 pm »

If you have one forge, make sure no parts of it are forbidden with t.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:01:45 am »

Yeah. Good to know for the future, but did a [t] query and no forbidden parts. So back to square one.

My best theory here is that it's a "magma forges or bust" problem, which is just really really lame.

Edit: I'm gonna test this, because I've got the magma resevoir that I've been trying to extract minecarts of magma from in the first place. I'll just build a forge over the channels and see if the dwarves will use that forge. If so, poop, found the problem. Otherwise, back to square minus one.

Survey says....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:10:33 am by laularukyrumo »
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 12:10:43 am »

My best theory here is that it's a "magma forges or bust" problem, which is just really really lame.
I'm pretty sure that problem only exists with dwarves that are experiencing a mood, but I could be wrong.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:11:48 am »

Well, it's been all of ten seconds after the forge FINALLY went up. I can confirm there's no burrow restriction, pathing checks out, building components aren't forbidden (I JUST built the damn thing after all), labor's enabled, materials are available. It's not that they're even giving me the "Urist McFuckwit cancels job: needs material" message, they're just not taking up the task for whatever reason. Which is single handedly preventing me from doing literally anything in the name of progress.

What pisses me off the most is that I've gotten them to forge before. I went in to make an iron chain in preparation for my minecart magma retrieval rigging scheme, but accidentally selected cage and didn't notice until I went to build the rollers and, oops, no chains. So I was able to build another, though both times I had trouble getting the dwarves to actually pick up the task. But now they're just flat-out ignoring me. Dafuq, man.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:48:06 am by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

rudhcairiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:00:58 am »

Is it worthwhile deconstructing and reconstructing, just for the hell of it? Maybe putting it in another location to see whether that makes any difference? Probably won't but it might be worth a shot.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:58:46 am »

Already tried. Keep in mind that I made, in addition to the first forge, a MAGMA forge elsewhere. I went in and took one dwarf, added him to a custom burrow that included a stockpile with iron and the magma forge, assigned him and only him to the forge via workshop [P]rofile, and disabled all non-metal labors. He sits there idle. Mother. Fucker.

Here's the save. HALP.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7631

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:05:31 am »

I've had an occasional problem with forges that sounds like what you're dealing with. For me, the solution was to assign only one dwarf to the forge.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:42:53 am »

I took a gander and the solution is painfully simple: enable metalcrafting. Got the job done in a heartbeat.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:31:29 am »

Really? That's a thing? I swore I enabled all the labors, too.

Dammit. Now I have to leave metalcrafting on, too. Seriously, why does that job use crafting and not blacksmithing? AAAAARGH

fuckin dwarves, man, how do they work

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 05:12:43 am »

I suggest you get a nice cat or two to make you less sad. You should probably also get a nice battleaxe as well.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 09:29:57 am »

Really? That's a thing? I swore I enabled all the labors, too.

Dammit. Now I have to leave metalcrafting on, too. Seriously, why does that job use crafting and not blacksmithing? AAAAARGH

fuckin dwarves, man, how do they work

Chains/ropes are finished goods, instead of furniture.  For some reason.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 07:21:53 am »

Well. I already had four cats, but now I have a new pet.

It's a gigantic winged blob made of water that spews deadly dust. :D

at least it's stuck on a ledge in the 2nd cavern and can't go anywhere because of poor pathfinding. I'll be ready for it by the time shit goes down.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread