Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Counter Surveillance, or how a Facebook post made me angry today  (Read 506 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

So a friend posted a picture on Facebook of a hysterical woman being arrested in Spokane, Washington, USA.  Ensuing argument on mental illness, police brutality, and counter surveillance.  To be honest, I was a big fan of counter surveillance up until that moment, then I realized it's an outstanding waste of resources and solves nothing.  My friend honestly believed that because he posted this picture on Facebook that he would somehow create change within a reasonable amount of time.  The police aren't the problem, the people who "control" the police are the problem.  Either they're corrupt or incompetent and action should be taken to say, the city council.  Naturally, my friend deleted that post, and another post I made on his wall, and ignored a message I sent to him after that.

I honestly don't see the point anymore.  Why are people obsessed with using their little iPhones to record police taking people down, as if that's going to cause lasting change?  Why not seek out the source of the problem and solve things once and for all?  This is an honest question.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Counter Surveillance, or how a Facebook post made me angry today
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:27:49 pm »

It doesn't solve anything in itself, but it does show whats going on, and that's a first step towards coming to a solution.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Counter Surveillance, or how a Facebook post made me angry today
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 04:30:29 pm »

Sousveillance leads to public awareness, and thus change. It is similar to how the printing press allowed pro-democratic movements to spread their message in the 1800's.

When people can see abuses, they become concerned about it. When they become concerned about it, politicians want to use that concern as an electoral strategy. When they use it as an electoral strategy, they have to actually make good on it in order to be re-elected.

Viola, you've got change.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.