Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who's your most epic dwarf?  (Read 1307 times)

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Who's your most epic dwarf?
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:11:17 pm »

Urist McMatrix charged a kobold ambush of 7 archers and 1 spearman with no trees or anything to protect him and he chopped each one to pieces with his axe while still under fire from the others. Looking at him at the end it appears that not a single shot had hurt him.

What are some of the epic moments your dwarves have had?

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
Re: Who's your most epic dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:54:27 pm »

Urist McMacedwarf essentially strolled into a battle with a hill titan (an earthworm with square scales and wings. Beware its spittle!). While the rest of the military is busy dodging and blocking its frozen (yes frozen. The biome was so cold the spittle attacks would freeze midair.) spittle attacks, she walks in and takes one swing, crushing it's head and all it's contents in one mighty blow.
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:50:29 am »

My most epic dwarf in my current fortress is the dwarf who was my expedition leader.

He began the game a novice appraiser, novice judge of intent, novice negotiator, and proficient teacher.

He is now a Legendary +5 Miner; Legendary +5 Woodcutter; Legendary +5 Engraver; Legendary +5 Plant Gatherer;  Legendary +5 Fisherdwarf; Legendary +5 Furnace Operator; Legendary +5 Appraiser; novice Judge of Intent; novice negotiator; Legendary +5 Organizer; Skilled Record Keeper; and, Proficient Teacher. He has no friends and no social skills, aside from the ones explicitly mentioned, because he has never been idle.

Shash The Stampede

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Typhoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:37:56 am »

Catten

She rushed a goblin ambush and lost her shield arm to one. She started back to the fort, spraying blood Tarantino style, but halfway there the bleeding stopped and she immediately rejoined the battle , bashing in many heads.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 12:08:26 pm »

I had a dwarf in my last fort who never dodged anything and fought with no armour, just a copper sword of low quality to which he was attatched. He had 50 notable kills and had never taken a hit. he blocked everything. even crossbow bolts. he eventually died after the whole fort went tantrum spiral apart from him. he fought of all the beserks and the siege that appeared during the spiral single handedly, before being the last one left. migrants arrived, among whom was a vampire, who promptly drained him in his sleep. the fort eventually died due to a malfunctioning magma waterfall in his tomb.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 12:37:50 pm »

Kogsak might break 5000 kills if she doesn't die of old age too soon...

Dwarven War Boar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 02:50:28 pm »

Urist McBadass XII was the only soldier left outside after sealing the area during a (modded in) orc siege as the trap hall was yet to be completed. He began with a shield and an iron breastplate and helm, armed with a silver hammer. He managed to single-handedly defeat and repel every squad until the larger forces in the north western corner converged on him and he was attacked by multiple war bears and packs of wolves (modded to be trainable). There was a good amount of them left, at least several dozen units. Despite eventually losing both legs and bleeding profusely he still managed to kill the majority of the remaining animals and orcs, and dragged himself across the ground towards the remaining fleeing enemies, until eventually just passing out while completely surrounded with blood and corpses. Never found out what happened to him next as I stopped playing the fort soon after the siege. The thought of battle-hardened, musclebound orcs and their war animals fleeing a dismembered crawling dwarf on the verge of falling unconscious due to blood loss remains amusing to this day.

This one isn't a dwarf, I've had a few interesting ones, but does a dog that managed to hold its own against a giant scorpion forgotten beast for about ten minutes without a single injury and no help at all until finally being stung and ripped apart deserve a mention? My military wasn't very well trained yet and apparently my mining operations had breached the caverns so I just sealed the mining shaft. By this point the scorpion had multiple red injuries and was missing limbs, and I'm assuming this was purely down to the dog's agility. I was then able to deconstruct the wall and kill it with one soldier in copper armour and a grizzly bear. I wanted to give the bitch a hero's funeral but I completely forgot so I'm guessing she ended up in a burger or something.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 04:57:26 pm »

I once had a dwarf who revered authority, lived life leisurely, lacked any compassion, was extremely distrustful of others, laughed loudly when nervous, was ruled by his cravings and urges, and lacked any form of modesty. BEST. NOBLE. EVER.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 05:40:19 pm »

Urist MarksCaptain headshot a FB very early on in the life of my fortress. Not sure if this is even possible but it seems he headshot it from ~5 floors up. Hundreds of bones and meat. It was a good day.

Saraias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »

This is not so much an epic moment as an epic life.

Onol Ownerstockades the Constructive Groove of Respect was snatched by goblins of the Bronze Barbarity at the age of three. She spent seven years as their prisoner, but was reunited with her parents at the Mountainhome of the Handles of Mortality at age ten. When she was fifteen, she left home to hunt beasts upon the Fatal Plains for fourteen years. In this span, she hunted well over a hundred creatures, and married her husband Urist Pillarspeakers the Law of Eviscerators. He was also a hunter of beasts, but not as accomplished. They had a son together during this time of roving. When Onol was 29, she and Urist settled down at the Mountainhome. Her son was snatched by the Bronze Barbarity in the same year.

When Onol was 30, her father became king of the Handles of Mortality. When she was 34, her thirteen-year-old son Tirist Sabrewane (now a member of the Bronze Barbarity) murdered the Blind Monster Administrator Master of the Bronze Barbarity, and took its place as Master. The Handles of Mortality and Bronze Barbarity ended decades of war in that year. When Onol was 35, her father died, she became queen, and World-Gen ended.

In time, Queen Onol moved to my fortress of Lashedvessel. She hunted the surface and caverns for a few years, but then became a member of the Fortress Guard along with most of the other nobles and administrators of the fort. She's a legendary marksdwarf and hunter whose foes generally die from her first shot. After a fey mood in which she produced Urritham (ScarYawned), an adamantine short sword worth well over a million that bears an image of Lashedvessel's first Outpost Liaison (the first of her reign), she became a legendary weaponsmith too. She's a grand master architect who designs the buildings of her realm, and then forges the masterwork weapons held by its defenders.

When a dwarf is seriously injured, if she is not actively engaged in killing the source of that injury, she's usually the person who scoops them up, carries them to the hospital, diagnoses and treats them, and sends them on their way with none of the lollygagging typical of dwarf physicians. I frequently find her bringing food or water to the hungry. Her social skills are extraordinary, the dwarves of the fortresses love her, if her list of dozens of friends is any sign. She mandates short swords (which she usually then forges personally) and the occasional ring (which lie in a glittering mound [quantum stockpile] in her tomb).

Her kill list is full of hundreds of animals, goblins, kobolds, zombies, and a forgotten beast or two; King Consort Urist actually likes the thrill of hunting forgotten beasts more than she, by his tallies. In my current fort (Lashhelms, as it turns out), she sits upon her artifact aluminum throne, Neshastsigun (RiskTour), forged by her husband. Their eldest daughter, the princess Asmel Claspedscarlet the Machine of Justice wielded Urritham to awe-inspiring effect, but Queen Onol is attached to her copper crossbow claimed from the hands of the demonic Master of the Neutral Horror when he foolishly attacked Lashedvessel - enough that she brought it with her to her new fort, where her cousin Onget Bluntlancer the Copper Gear of Fellowship is duchess.

Queen Onol Ownerstockades the Constructive Groove of Respect is without question my most epic dwarf. She is now 87. I look forward to the next 80 years of her reign.

bottles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 10:16:43 pm »

This morning a giant cave spider shredded three of my dwarves all skilled in hunting, sustaining only a mild injury to its third leg as it bypassed my cage traps and headed toward my main fort.

Then my master fisherdwarf (had some small skill in being an axedwarf, but carried no axe and had no other notable combat skills) came strolling down the hallway (ignoring like 20 webs), punched it in a couple of its legs, punched it in the gut and then punched it in the head, killing it. He took that mother down in less than half a page without the spider having the time to respond in any way whatsoever.

I don't breed especially epic dwarfs I think, but this fight was all of my wut.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 10:41:31 pm »

Urist McFirstSoldier, the first soldier I ever successfully got to wield his equipment (Military menu noob reporting). When his fortress was almost exterminated by a zombie yak, he was the only one who didn't completely lose his marbles and built a wall to keep more yaks out of the fortress. After that, he played a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse with the beast throughout the fort until they met at the lowest z-level I had managed to dig out. He fought a valiant fight, and ended up killing the zombie yak and two dwarf zombies before having his spine broken in battle against the necromancer.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 09:42:56 pm »

Holy shit. Onul Ownerstockades, best fucking dwarf ever. Her son killed a demon in worldgen--which is insane, because worldgen fights are 1v1 duels with hilariously bad weighting of skills. Those demons have thousands of kills usually.

The closest thing I have is in my current fort. Terrifying scorching swamp with 8 levels of aquifer (most of it conglomerate, locking away all of my iron FFFFUUUUUU), unpleasant syndrome rain, and three tower neighbors. The second migrant wave I'd written everyone off as dead, didn't even bother taking down the wall to let people in after the first one failed miserably. I looked away, happened to come back to the entry level, only to see Ilral and Onul banging on the innermost barrier keeping stuff out of Doomportals. Onul was a metalworker (extremely useful, as my project at the time is to go diving for MAGMA), and Ilral managed to kill one of the undead migrants that attacked him. Seeing a kill in their lists, I felt obligated to let them in.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 12:08:57 am »

The best dwarf I ever had was Fath Allosoltar. In that particular fortress, I had settled on top of a kobold campsite, so there were about 4 kobold archers milling about in the corner, with a dead one. (I knew about the location when I embarked, I had lost 2 adventurers trying to get them, dem archers, man)
Anyway, These kobolds were friendly, due to the known bug, so I could take the stuff that was on the ground, mainly a dropped bow and some iron arrows.
Now Fath wasn't very interesting, he and his wife had migrated to the fort early on in it's life, and he had no useful skills whatsoever, so I was making him fish.
One day, as he was heading back inside after a days work, he bumped into a sneaking kobold. I immidietly went into the military screen, and assigned a small group of fit dwarves together, along with Fath, I was hoping that Fath might slow down the kobold long enough for someone stronger to get there, since he was unarmed.
Now he didn't stop the kobold too well and it started to get away, a woodcutter with an axe was coming from another direction, so he would have intercepted the thief, but another kobold popped up and distracted the woodcutter. But the first one still didn't get away, luckily Fath, although physically weak, was rather quick for a dwarf, and caught up with him, and grabbed his arm. The thief stabbed Fath in both legs, crippling him and making him fall, but he still held on, and after the woodcutter had finished off the distraction, he jumped in and beheaded the kobold.
The wounds in Fath's legs were too bad for him to get up and go home, and he lay there for help that wouldn't come, as I had no hospital. I quickly began to assemble a hospital, but for some reason nobody would go and help him. After over 2 months of inability to walk, Fath stood up, walked home, and went to bed. Fath was the first dwarf in the fort to be injured in battle.
After that, I decided that he should never be in melee combat again. I equiped him with an artifact robe for protection, as I had no proper armor, and gave him the looted kobold bow and arrows.

Later on in the fort's life, as everything was going well, and the fort's population sat at a safe number of 79, a dwarf gave birth, and in that instant, a Titan showed up on the map. I was still a new player at the time, and this was the first time I had ever seen a titan, let alone know how to handle one.
The titan ravaged my pasture, and threw a farmer into a nearby pond, killing him. Luckily a yak managed to get a lucky kick in at it's foot, and it had to limp it's way into the fort. I had prepared the fort in case of invasions, and so I had a spot where I could set up my dwarves behind a defensive line of fortifications, where they would pepper the beast with bolts until it fell.
At that moment I had a realization.
I had 2 dozen marksdwarves, and 2 dozen crossbows, and not a single bolt.

The Titan limped it's way down into the fort, and my army began to run back to the door, to face it in melee on the other side, but the fight was already over. Fath, the only dwarf with any ammo, took a single -iron arrow-, and made the titan's upper and lower bodies distant relatives. The combat log was only 2 lines long.

Fath later ended up having 2 children, one of which died from going berserk, and he made an artifact crown, made of cow bone.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 12:17:38 am »

In my last fort that died a FPS death, I had a forgotten beast. if I recall correctly, it was a one-eyed pterodactyl that had some sort of boiling dust attack (or frozen, or both, I got confused on that). Well, I tried to send my military after it in the caves, gave up as it kept running away.

Then suddenly it's in my main 3x3 staircase, rushing up the steps in a giant cloud of nastiness. SHIT! I send my military, but then cancel the order as quickly as I can - I have one of my war dragons in the stairwell as well. Now at this point I'm just thinking "oh shit the dragon is loose, that's not supposed to happen, what if it loses it's taming and destroys my fort?" Needless to say I wanted to keep all dwarves away from that battle and just watch it unfold.

After tons of boiling dust attacks and dragonfire filling the main stairwell, neither doing damage to either gigantic monster of a beast, I suddenly see that the dust is clearing. What happened?

Urist McBlueSteel, my dwarven champion, wearing nothing but the best full steel gear and blue-dyed pigtail clothes, walks away proudly. Amidst the dragonfire and deadly boiling dust he just took the lunge and... literally in three strokes of his short sword... slaughtered the beast. I remember the order even. One slice to the leg, severing it off. One stab to the lung, making it cough and gag for breath, and then one quick slice to the neck, severing off the head. No !@#$-ing around with that one.

He then proceeded straight to the hospital, as he was covered in boiling dust. He washed himself off, took about a day off of work in order to rest in the hospital (literally every part of his body was covered in boils). Then, fully recovered, he returned to training.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...