Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question regarding body part targeting.  (Read 881 times)

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question regarding body part targeting.
« on: May 04, 2013, 08:04:20 am »

Hello friends.

I am about to embark on a dwarven research project to test the effectiveness of various armour layering combinations (adamantine v. steel, various types of cloth v. leather, and so on), and I am throwing creatures into the object testing arena for the first time. I ran my first sample series, and I ended up with one dwarf on the defending team surviving for several minutes of real time, after all other dwarfs were killed, and the attackers seemed unable to kill her because they would only target her head while she was on the ground and unconscious. The fact that a single dwarf with a steel helmet refuses to die against the remaining 66 humans with copper battle axes doesn't really skew the data all that much, but I am wondering why the shots to the head keep doing nothing and why no other body parts are targeted.

Thanks in advance!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question regarding body part targeting.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:12:05 pm »

The AI will always go for headshots on unconscious targets, and with copper weapons they'll never get through the steel helmet.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 03:32:38 pm »

Beware though, as far as I know there is no piece of armor that covers the throat. Throats are a difficult target, but cutting or piercing hits to the throat are always mortal unless it's something like a dingo with no teeth versus a dragon.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 03:34:56 pm »

You may want to consider before you get too deep that combat will be different in the next release, so you may want to hold out until then (nothing wrong with getting familiar with the system and coming up with test cases now, however).  At that point there will probably be several people doing similar research, and they would appreciate any input you might have and vice versa.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:57:06 pm »

The AI will always go for headshots on unconscious targets, and with copper weapons they'll never get through the steel helmet.
Reason why I personally modded helmets to only provide 95% protection instead of 100%, always a chance to get into an eye slit.

But yea, that's pretty much the thing, AI will always aim for the easiest to hit and most solid target, but if all chances are equal (like against an unconscious opponent) they will prefer to aim for head bodyparts.  Unfortunately they are not smart enough to realize they have no chance of penetrating through helmets with subpar weapons and will spend all day failing to kill.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!