Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you quickly collect stones that are lying about?  (Read 1946 times)

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you quickly collect stones that are lying about?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 01:35:25 pm »

This killed a few of my early forts back when EVERY block dropped a stone, they hauled faster though.

Still the OCD ness of it all made me waste time moving rocks and then everyone died.

I just live in clay mostly now.

I also modded bricks to make 4 bricks from 1 clay like they should be.
It's not OCD-ness, it's a matter of not wanting a ton of ugly stones cluttering up your fortress all over the place.  :-)  Granted if you're using ASCII you might not be able to tell the different between clutter and clean, but with a decent tileset you can!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 02:13:07 pm »

You can read ASCII as easily as you would a decent tileset, and vice versa.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 02:55:52 pm »

Then why do people create decent tilesets?  :-)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 03:43:53 pm »

Then why do people create decent tilesets?  :-)

[sarcasm]Because not everyone likes playing dwarf fortress like it was meant to be played.[/sarcasm]  In any case, I generally make a small non-economic stone stockpile near my masons, so when they are actually using stone it is being stockpiled near them, but when they aren't it is left alone.  If I plan on flooding an area or otherwise making it inaccessible, I'll usually make a quantum stockpile outside to get the dwarves to move all the stone out and then reclaim it all and leave it there.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:32:16 pm by Namfuak »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 07:28:32 pm »

I do indeed collect stones. I like having a single, solid color for my above-ground fort, which ends up usually being the main layerstone I dig my fort out of. I start with a small wheelbarrow-collection pile, then I usualy end up with a quantum pile near end-game for blocks, furniture, et cetera, each based on stone color.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 07:47:43 pm »

My current fort is rather inefficient. It has two or three mass stone stockpiles of all types of non-economic rock, all of which feed to one another ultimately ending in them all draining to a stockpile directly beneath my masonry workshops. Since I love producing blocks en mass, as much for the chuckles I get from running my sweatshops as for constructing things, I also have a block stockpile with a shitload of bins right next to most of the masonry shops.

As others have said, I face slight stone shortages. My need for flux mitigates this, as I go overkill on my marble layers and dig out about 1/4 of a layer at a time for my flux.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 12:00:23 pm »

I honestly hardly see the stones laying about. I know they're there but I can pretty much ignore them.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 12:08:15 pm »

stone clutter is way less of a hassle now anyway.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 12:10:16 pm »

Generally I have at least one mason's workshop on Create Blocks/R plus one or two Crafting Workshops producing Rock crafts on repeat as well.  That plus occassional managerial orders for rocks, cabinets, and doors means most of my stone gets moved pretty quickly.

It gets to the point where I have to quarry out room for stone considering I like building things (tracks, pyramids, towers, whatever...)

NINJA: Yep, since the amount was toned down recently, it used to be pretty bad.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 12:12:13 pm »

To show you how I do it, here's a screenshot from the end of my turn on the Desertguard succession fort:

In addition to black, white, junk, and magma-safe, I leave space at the right to add more stoneworking areas at the right (for e.g., microcline, cinnabar).  Lots of little stockpiles with 3 wheelbarrows each means stone gets hauled away pretty quick.  As you can see in this shot, I have an overabundance of black stones, so I have those three workshops making stuff on repeat. 

Proximity of stone working areas to a massive furniture stockpile is intentional.  That being adjacent to my gem-setter is intentional.  The other workshops are on the same floor just for the sake of convenience (some of my agricultural/food supply chain is on another floor to be close to the farms and dining halls).

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 12:56:46 pm »

Well, I always dump them to piles in corridors. Those stones a) are waste of good space b) good building material

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 03:29:46 pm »

I've seen quite a few playthroughs of Dwarf Fortress on Youtube, and everybody seems to just leave the stones left from mining rock lying all over the floor.  One guy even just hides them.

But I always immediately get them hauled to a garbage heap, then reclaimed into a huge stone stockpile I have so I can build stuff with them.  Is there a good reason to leave all these stones lying around?  They just seem to get in the way of walls/buildings you want to build and look ugly.  Why would you not immediately dump them?
I dump them when they get in the way of stockpiles and soon to be constructions, in time the masons, mechanics, jewelers and craftsdwarves all clear out the rocks though so it's usually a non-issue. Though I do destroy or quantum stockpile most quarried rocks, for FPS reasons.
Pages: 1 [2]