Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few quick questions  (Read 448 times)

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few quick questions
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:27:33 am »

Yeah, some things I've been wondering about.
1. I identified a vampire at the border and immediately sealed him into an office as bookkeeper with a forbidden door. He's had no social contact with anyone as of yet. What should I do with him? Replace door with wall and have immortal fort? Or is there some better use for the things?

2. [Edit] Titan dealt with. [Edit2] Archer question also resolved!

3. The wiki claims that once a soldier reaches "Great" or above they become elite units, and train pretty much constantly. I now have two Great marksdwarves in a squad of four, and am observing none of such constant training behavior. What do I need to do to get them to train constantly at the archery targets?

4. Is a artifact (puppy bone) pick better as a pick or as a weapon?

5. [Edit] Can Titans step up Z-levels? I heard they can from a DF-playing friend but haven't seen confirmation elsewhere.

Answers would be appreciated, thanks!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:01:36 am by JTTCOTE1 »

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few quick questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:41:02 am »

Sealing away a vampire is the only way to keep your dwarves safe from it. Some people suggested dropping one off a cliff repeatedly to train doctors, but most uses I've seen involve sealing them off.

Don't know about the spittle, sorry.

Bone weapons suck. Don't use it for trying to kill things. I wouldn't use it as a workaday item either if it was me - it's probably worth a lot of money, if you make a stockpile that only accepts artifacts to get it into a room you can very easily increase its value.

Waterlimon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:38:56 am »

for 2:
"Dwarves will fire at targets 20 tiles away and are able to engage targets that are 3 z-levels up or down without any loss in firing distance."
(from archery section of the wiki)

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:05:29 am »

For 3. Dwarves who become great become weapon lords\elites\masters. When this happens they become work-shy scum, drop all their existing labor assignments and thus when off duty can only train (personal combat drill \ archery practice). If you give them jobs again they'll stop.

Depending on your fort and population settings, it's either a blessing or a curse.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 10:23:16 am »

Don't put your pick in a stockpile - items in stockpiles do nothing for room value and thoughts. Install it in a weapon trap in your meeting hall, this will add to room value and dwarfs can admire it as part of an 'absolutely sublime weapon trap'.

Weaponmasters only gain their title (and delete all jobs) if they reach such a level _while on active duty_. An off-duty 'craftsdwarf' training axes/practicing archery until legendary will not become a weaponmaster this way. Elite Marksdwarves would also be difficult to get to the range, since they train best when off-duty, and when they're off-duty, they lose their elite title.

In the current version, weaponmasters _can_ be deactivated (in some earlier versions, they'd be soldiers forever and would never revert to civilian - i think). You can even re-assign all their labours, they'll just delete all of them once they gain a skill level while in active service. If you really need all hands to do work, re-activating the jobs of your weaponmasters after every scuffle can be a real chore.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:03:36 am »

some more random comments:
one thing not mentioned about the elite/training thing is mostly that elite soldiers -can- train non-stop, not that they -will-. What that means is mainly that non-elite soldiers get upset when they have to be a soldier for too long a time at once and need some free months to stay happy (eventually. legendary rooms, great food and whatmore can last them for a long long time). Elite soldiers happily stay on duty for ever without complaining about that point

on titans, some titans fly and can move up z-levels. Other titans can't. I do think pretty much all of them can swim though.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.