Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobility makes 'em crazy  (Read 1006 times)

Welsh Flea

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Nobility makes 'em crazy
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:32:56 am »

Just wondering if anyone else had nobles develop psychopathic tendencies as soon as they got their mitts on some power?
Heres a brief list of some recent Noble activity I have had the pleasure of dealing with...

A serial killer Duchess, 4 murders in front of witnesses of dwarfs that violated minor production orders. Though convicted they refuse to give a punishment.

A Baron who celebrated his elevated status by immediately murdering the blacksmith and then making a Legendary Dwarf Bone Shield from his victims remains, 'menacing with Dwarf teeth!' - again no one seemed to care and a champion used the shield...

But my favourite must be the vampire who snuck in with a migration wave, quickly usurped the Mayor (had no idea they could do that), it took me a little while to narrow it down to him, then isolated him in a cell, walled him in and flooded it, but only with water. I then reinstated the old mayor and job done! Nope... shortly after the walled in, submerged vampire dwarf is made Mayor again and is issuing mandates. wtf?!

Took Joy in Slaughter recently.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nobility makes 'em crazy
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:04:47 am »

Ahh, yup, sounds about right for nobility.

As far as the Duchess not being punished?  Baron and higher, if I recall, are punishment exempt.  They can do whatever they want, commit murder most foul, and never suffer a day in a jail for it.  The perks of being at the top of the power structure.

Your baron turning his buddy into a shield was a Fell Mood.  He was miserable.  Probably because you didn't assign him a nice, lavish room.

Vampires don't breathe, so submerging them in water just makes them soggy.  And all dwarves are telepathic, so they know that a) the vampire is still "alive", b) he's still the sociallite that makes the lady dwarves swoon, and c) he wants them to make him 3 glass beds for his quarters OR ELSE SUFFER HIS WRATH.

This is all pretty much par for the course for nobles.  You hopefully won't wonder then why many players like to install FUN levers in the noble suites.  It leads to red fun stuff.  Hint: Starts with 'm' and ends with 'agma'.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:06:34 am by Solon64 »
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:09:09 am »

Sounds like FUN...
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:13:40 am »

Yeah, most of these problems can be treated with one number: 7. Though any number between 1 and 6 would suffice too  ;)
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Saraias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:11:06 am »

With succession going in this next release, I'm bracing myself for the tales of people who serially give their nobles red baths, either until they get one they like or else perpetually. All those poor heirs may have good reason if their elevation to the nobility makes them crazy (and terrified).

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:06:27 pm »

With succession going in this next release, I'm bracing myself for the tales of people who serially give their nobles red baths, either until they get one they like or else perpetually. All those poor heirs may have good reason if their elevation to the nobility makes them crazy (and terrified).

How does one see what may or may not be in the next update? I'm kind of new to the community, and I can't seem to differentiate on the log which is purely "in the future" and which is coming out sooner.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 01:00:14 pm »

How does one see what may or may not be in the next update? I'm kind of new to the community, and I can't seem to differentiate on the log which is purely "in the future" and which is coming out sooner.
By log I assume you mean the dev log on the main page where Toady talks about what hes working on. That's where we get whats coming up "next," by what Toady says he is working on, and was working on succession a while back.

Now if you meant the the page with a giant list of planned features as log, then you have good reason to be confused. I'm not even sure if that's maintained.

I can't wait for the day when heirs can try and usurp power for themselves, and nobility can get paranoid that someone is planning a coup.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:03:14 pm by BoredVirulence »

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 06:34:53 pm »

With all the shenanigans going on in the average fort, I'm not sure.id WANT to be in power and have all the unfortunate accidents blamed on me.

But then again I'm not a dwarf. A dwarf, when complained at, is as likely to mandate the construction of a bone throne as he is to issue beatings to the responsible party
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:41:03 am »

My Baroness is a model citizen and leader in my fortress.  Her oldest son however, a rambunctious 2-year-old, is a worshiper of a diety of suicide.  As the heir to my fortress, I'm naturally a bit concerned.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku