Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook for masterwork  (Read 1730 times)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worldgen cookbook for masterwork
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:20 am »

Fairly self expalanatory.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook for masterwork
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 07:35:52 pm »

Not quite sure what that even means, but I'll try.

You have a few presets with the mod that are custom made to match the mod (many civs, compatible havitats, more resources than 'vanilla' presets).

If you want to make your own world preset, there are two ways, the menu way in the game, or Perfect World.

The few points you need to consider are:
* A lot of 'neutral' areas to keep civs alive.
* A lot of 'civs' (usually at 15+) to ensure most of the civs are spawned.
* A medium world usually gives good results.
* A very short 'history' (50-200 years) to prevent weaker civs from getting killed off

Anyway, I hope it answers the 'question', because it wasn't self explanatory for me (not native english).
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:45:15 pm »

My guess is they were looking for the settings everyone uses to generate their worlds. I have to agree it is not very self explanatory though.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 04:37:14 pm »

I only use this one worldgen profile, which has a particularly great embark point I discovered, in order to avoid having to hunt for one, and to minimize uncertainty generally. At 129x129, it's pretty big. The world has enough space for all 16 civs to evolve without killing each other off all the time, and at 100 years runtime, frequently has a necrotower or two as well. It has no oceans, but lots of rivers, and all the major biomes are represented. I designed it with PerfectWorld a while ago and I'm pretty happy with it:

http://piratepad.net/ep/pad/view/ro.j4jY8cPVB1C/latest
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:13:38 pm »

I have been genning mostly medium worlds (my system can't quite cut it but histories under 150 years, keeping it 4x4 and habitually abandoning forts before the third year helps.)  I have found 50-60 civs (with all masterwork, fortress defense and cavern races active) to generate relatively few civ-placement rejections, and gives a civ of every type with many dupes.

I turn evil clouds way down, to 2-3.  I would turn them off, but, well, I do want them to exist, I just want it to be notable if one finds me, and for it not to happen every game.

I do at least 10 levels above the first cavern if I'm dwarfing because I want to put my bedrooms below the noise of the tree chopping.  My one human round I actually tried to put everyone at the top of a tower to evade the noise.  People were sleeping on the ground by the third season and I realized what a fool I'd been.

I also usually turn my embarkers up from 7 to 13 (preferring Tolkien to Disney), and accordingly increase embark points to 2500, because I am a cheater.

Edit: I do play with all the FPS-boosting simplifications off (daughter of a carpenter, friend of a geologist, so the extra stuff does add richness for me.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:23:26 pm by daisha »

dethb0y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:45:30 pm »

My standard set up is a medium island (i've found regions make a few to many islands).

I typically up starting points to 4000 (but only ever spend some small fraction of that - it's mostly just if i want to do something radical or different).

I turn off aquifers just because i don't like the mechanic of them.

Other then that i leave it more or less at default.