Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Island embark, self sufficient challenge  (Read 1528 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Island embark, self sufficient challenge
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 03:31:07 pm »

I don't understand how the vultures ruined you that badly.  You started with lots of wood, and even if you hadn't, you could have deconstructed the wagon for three wood.  While one guy is building the wood furnace, smelter, and forge, everyone else should have been assigned to gather plants.  (Optionally one person could be building a carpenter's shop and making axes, but that still leaves five dwarves gathering plants.)  If you are down to zero drink, build a still and immediately start processing the plants into drinks.  The vultures can't carry off all of the food -- I think each "thief" grabs a maximum of one item before leaving the map.  The problem is only slightly more complex if they somehow steal all of your barrels -- in that case, have the carpenter make a few barrels and then make the distiller brew drinks.  Even with all these tasks going simultaneously -- the metalsmith smeltering ore, the carpenter making barrels, and the distiller making booze -- more than half of your dwarfpower will be gathering resources (plants or wood as you need).  If your spare dwarves are doing something else (i.e. constructing a huge wooden building) then that's the problem, not the solution.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 04:02:29 pm »

There were four groups of vultures with about 5 birds in each.  I got swarmed with somthing like 20 birds.  At first it was just anoying as everytime a bird came in all my guys canceled their jobs.  But then the birds started stealing food.  I only had 4 plump helms and the above ground plants that I had gathered.  They cleaned me completely out, and every time a dwarf dropped off another plant they swooped in and stole that one too.

The reclaim isn't working.  All the farms were still there but even if I remove them and make new ones it still says there are no seeds available.  I'm going to restart from a pre-embark save file.

Edit: I spoke too soon.  As soon as someone ate an above ground plant all the farms started working.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:04:53 pm by Hamiltonz »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:31 pm »

I forgot to mention, my crossbow idea also requires quivers, or leather for quivers.  Or you can get a bit of leather by slaughtering your animals.
Pages: 1 [2]