Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Let's say someone has the means to make a perfect copy of you, give it $10, and destroy your original body, all with a 100% success rate, and he offers to do this to you. Would you accept?

Yes
- 10 (17.9%)
No
- 46 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Consciousness and brain transfers  (Read 14081 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Consciousness and brain transfers
« Reply #285 on: April 27, 2013, 10:37:08 pm »

My thought has always been that animals that are intelligent but not so much as to be self-aware likely exist in a state of vague awareness that doesn't differentiate between their self and the entire world. They probably still feel simple emotions, like fear or contentment or even affection for other creatures or objects, but don't have the ability to relate that to themselves instead of the whole of existance in general. For animals, dying and the end of the world are the same thing.

We have the luxury of being able to think of ourselves in a more abstract way, and do things like convince ourselves that by making a clone of ourselves we're avoiding death. But from a purely subjective standpoint, the animals aren't wrong.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
Re: Consciousness and brain transfers
« Reply #286 on: April 28, 2013, 05:43:55 am »

Assuming it is not just a one time deal, fuck yes I would allow that, eternal life? Yes thanks. The only drawback is that it is specified as a "perfect copy" of my own body. I'd prefer to swap to a womans body for a few millennia, they get all the sweet shoes :p.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:46:38 am by Aptus »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]