Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increase DF's performance using Razer's new 'game booster.'  (Read 1004 times)

DevanC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello everyone, I've always been interested in my computers performance and how to optimize programs for the better. I've read about DF's inablilty to handle multiple cores so it makes sense to get DF to run smoother it just needs more POWER! Seriously thou, every hz of free possessor space is helpful to DF. I am constantly going into task manager and ending unnecessary processes to try and sway the colossus that is Dwarf Fortress to take all of my CPU. However, I am not that proficient at it. I am not 100% sure on processes that need to stay open. That's where Razer's Game Booster comes in. The name is atrocious, but it is an incredible program! It's obviously more geared towards heavy 3D graphically advanced games, but its main focus is to remove those unnecessary processes that DF doesn't need to have open in order to run. I'm running Win7 which has it's own cascade of svchost processes and explorer.exe taking up a chunk of processor power. I'm not ignorant to the fact that, normally, those svchost processes are to catch runtime errors and minimize crashing and the explorere.exe is REALLY important to continue running your desktop. But, with these and many more programs halted, DF runs much better. Feel free to explore the Game Booster further yourself. It has some fancy features to defrag game folders and free up memory. This program is a bit advanced for most people but I feel everyone who plays DF are borderline programmers anyway. So just be aware of the setting you're changing and it will involve a smidgen of troubleshooting. Alt+tab will become your new best friend. Also, I have tested this on MasterWork. To add DF into the Booster, click the "Add" button under the "launch" tab and find DF.exe (or Settings.exe for MW.) This Booster really surprised me when you close out of your "Boosted Program" it re-initiates all of your processes as if it never changed. Very well designed program that is still in beta. Might not be free when updated...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Increase DF's performance using Razer's new 'game booster.'
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:48:42 am »

Not sure if new breed of spambot with an avatar, or just not the best first post to make...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

DevanC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 02:51:40 am »

I know It's not a great first post and seams really spamy... But I just got it working real well on my desktop and want to let you guys all in on it. Also, I forgot to add the link. I'm a horribly programed spambot. :P

Download:

http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:53:36 am by DevanC »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 02:55:01 am »

Well, most spambots don't bother responding, so that's a point in your favor :P

I already use this program, since I need to squeeze every bit of CPU I can get out of this second-rate laptop sometimes. Never tried it for DF though.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 04:46:35 am »

If you'd rather not close system processes that do useful things and you have a multi-core machine, you could also try setting affinity for different processes. In the task manager's processes section ("Details" on Win8) you can rclick on any process and choose which cores it will run on. This lets you stop your antivirus, browser, explorer.exe etc from using a particular core, and then give DF affinity to that core to let it solely run the program. Since DF is only multithreaded in the same way that I'm a mechanic because I changed my car's oil once, the performance hit from locking it to one core should be more than counteracted by stopping it fighting with other processes for space.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 07:19:55 am »

Ooh.

That's a sexy idea.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread