Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A New Beginning  (Read 772 times)

Dzlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A New Beginning
« on: April 23, 2013, 11:52:29 pm »

A new Beginning

I've started playing Dwarf Fortress not too long ago, but over the last couple of months, I've started understanding what has been going on, quite naturally. Now, I can vaguely monitor my dwarfs just by watching where they run and what they do and just by pressing the U button regularly I can make sure they are on task.
In fact, I'm still new to the game, I haven't managed to get a self sustainable Fortress yet. But I'm certainly getting further each time. I've lost a lot but then again (Losing is Fun) : )
I'm about to start a whole new world, where I can start fresh, and will strive harder then before to succeed, cause now, When I'm not at school, or typing away at my creative writing, I'm generally found to be on Dwarf Fortress.
I have to call this the Best Game I've ever found. Even better then the good ol x-com (original) and Clonks games. Too bad my mates won't play it. I guess the game just isn't for some people.
Still, I'm having a blast on this. My favorite thing to do now when I want to be alone is fire up Dwarf Fortress, listening to music and watching them dig away at the rock. It's strangely calming.
Hey is it true the next update is estimated to be around 20 years? Lol, I read that somewhere but sure it was a joke...
Has anyone got some tips, like how to handle caverns? I dug into it, with Four rookie wrestlers (I didn't bring any military equipment with me) standing guard at the bottom. A bunch of Tigermen came at me, doing almost no damage, my Dwarves were wrestling them to death no problem, but it turned out the Cave Crocodile was a huge problem.
Eventually it died and I was left with 3 Dwarves, one a Legendary miner from the wave of immigrants that arrived during that battle. I used him to dig out the river, was hoping to flood the hallow beneath me, Gears of War style, but failed. It hit winter as the river slowly flowed towards my Fort, through a long thin tunnel, it froze.
So yeah, any tips on how to handle caverns? Haha, I've noted to bring Copper Greaves, Chestplates and Short Swords next time.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A New Beginning
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:41:32 am »

20 years is when the first version is guessed to be "complete". ToadyOne, the game developer, has a vague vision for what the complete game will look like, and the version number is his guess at how close feature the game is to that goal. The current version is 0.34, and its taken 10 years to get to that point, so version 1 should be in 20 more. He's also said that some features would not be part of that vision, and would only be added post version 1.

The next version is coming "soon". My best guess is mid June. Others may guess differently, and theres no offical word.

Dzlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 02:24:39 am »

Ah Okay, thanks for clarifying that for me... I was kinda scared that I wouldn't see any updates for 20 years, haha, though, the game already feels very complete.

Out of curiosity, how many others find the game very calming?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:02:58 am by Dzlan »

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:18:23 am »

It is usually a calm game and then you get a siege, a forgotten beast and a tantrum spiral at the same time. But the randomness only improves the experience in my opinion.

Put some cage traps in front of your cavern entrance and experiment with animal training. Most cavern creatures are deadly to unarmored foes.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:08:16 am by chevil »

Dzlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:19:13 pm »

Cages, never used them before. In fact, I've never experimented with traps before, will wooden cages suffice? If so, I'll get my Carpenter to make a bunch after he has nothing good to do, which may take a while, beds, chairs and training weapons will be needed.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 04:07:38 am »

A wooden cage will hold and capture just as well as a cage made of steel.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 06:27:51 am »

Always nice to hear about a person's initial reaction to the game and such things. Glad you're enjoying it as much as you are. Similar to you, it's my all-time favorite game as well :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:38 am »

I know its shameless self promotion, but if you enjoy the game a lot, you might want to have a look at the modding section as well. It is amazing what you can do to personalize the game, make it even better for you. And if you are a fan of crossovers, there are Warhammer, Fallout, LotR, Pony and all kinds of other total conversion out there. Even one where you play as human survivors in a zombie apocalypse. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dzlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 05:22:42 pm »

I don't normally use mods for games though? I dunno why, I've just never been into them. However, might look for a couple for Dwarf Fortress to spice up the game a bit.
And I've got Cataclysm DDA for Zombie Survival. : )
And yep, am going to make a lot of Cages, bout 30 or so for that Long Hallway Entrance. But my Carpenter is on break at the moment. Should assign someone to temporarily be Carpenter. And I got a High Master in Masonry during the first wave of immigrants... : ) : ) : )