Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FUN and defective elves  (Read 1079 times)

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FUN and defective elves
« on: April 22, 2013, 06:13:36 pm »

So.. latest fortress is falling. That happened quicker than I expected. Right now the biggest threat is tantruming dwarves after three goblin ambushes. Scornedplays the Maw of Raptors (badass name right there) the blind cave ogre and his deadly leather dress isn't doing us any favors either. However... elves are friends of nature right? That means animals shouldn't attack them correct? Does that not apply to merchants? Or maybe cavern dwellers are just as fond of elves as the dwarves... Maybe its just that these elves are merely acquaintances  of nature.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
Re: FUN and defective elves
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 06:17:06 pm »

Animals shouldn't. But if your ogre wears clothing, sounds like hes a sentient.
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 06:21:41 pm »

no, sounds like hes killing dwarves with a leather dress.

All none sentient, living animals should leave elves alone.
Although i dont know if rage and like violence tags make exceptions to this rule or not.

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 07:23:47 pm »

should not have breached the caverns without lining the would-be entrance with cage traps and the entry stairway sealed with a safety hatch you can easily forbid.

elves are not immune to sentients. their also not immune to any wildlife on a evil map that are undead (fun occurred the last time elves tried trading with me since they kept running from undead buzzards and refused to go into my fort, and kept running around until the regular necromancer siege showed up...).

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:07:26 am »

I think elves' "at peace with nature" trait just negates any [LIKES_FIGHTING] tags on non-fanciful, non-sentient wildlife. I don't think BCOs count as "non-sentient", and I think a creature's hostility undergoes some changes once they're assigned a name (e.g., you can't tame "named" trapped animals successfully).
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 05:20:47 am »

I'd guess [CAN_LEARN], [CAN_SPEAK] and/or [INTELLIGENT] negate the hippie trait. That would probably include BCOs, trogs, gorlaks, gremlins, PHMs, minotaurs and such as well.

Tamed war beasts remain members of their original civ and thus hostile to yours; that is a completely different issue and related to loyalty cascades. The game just does not handle twin citizenships all that well...

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:04:33 am »

my guess is that since the BCO presumably atacked your dwarfs the elves interveaned to save the dwarfs