Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armoring Dwarves  (Read 415 times)

lionrt60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armoring Dwarves
« on: April 24, 2013, 07:06:48 am »

Ok, so this is just a quick question but can dwarves wear all of the craftable armor pieces at once, only some at a time, and what should I equip a standard sword wielding squad with?

Thanks
~Lion

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
Re: Armoring Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:32:54 am »

They wear multiple pieces but not EVERYTHING on the craft menu. Read the full wiki yourself :)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Armor
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:47:54 am »

Ok, so this is just a quick question but can dwarves wear all of the craftable armor pieces at once, only some at a time, and what should I equip a standard sword wielding squad with?

Thanks
~Lion

There are limits to what a dwarf can wear, and they can't wear a "full" suit of armour (one of each armour item) at once. because of a couple areas like not being able to wear leggings with greaves. The wiki page linked earlier covers layering limits and such pretty well.

As for what to equip a standard squad with. Assuming you aren't mucking about with layering and trying to maximize everything the following should be sufficient:
Item (Parts protected)
Helm (Head)
Mail Shirt (Upper arms, torso, upper legs)
Breast Plate (torso)
Gauntlets (Hands, lower arms)
High Boots (Feet, Lower Legs)
Greaves (Legs)
Shield (Chance to block attacks)
Weapon (Chance to block attacks)
Cloak (entire upper body)

All made from the best available metal except the cloak, which can be made of leather as cloaks can't be made of metal (usually...).
If you have Leather armour on, you CAN NOT wear a breastplate, so it's one or the other - breastplates are almost always better though.
Helms are strictly better than caps of the same material, don't bother forging caps.
Shields are your friend.
The cloak is optional, but they help quite a bit against syndromes from blood, and it can stop weak attacks like those from some wild animals.
I also use a leather hood normally, but they are far from needed if you have a helm of decent metal and quality.

If you want to go for overkill, extra layers like a 2nd or 3rd mail shirt, 6 cloaks, 6 hoods, etc. can help, but it's rarely worth the extra effort and materials.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 12:17:34 pm »

high boots, greaves, mail shirt, gauntlet, helm, shield, - short sword should be made from metal, although if you're short on metal, leather shields work just fine, reportedly.

To this, I would add a cloth/leather cloak, a waterskin/flask (although these are assigned in a different way), and call it the absolute minimum for a melee dwarf to be considered fully-equipped.  I like to add hoods, and many players like to add breastplates as well.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku