Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does a vampire need teeth to drain people?  (Read 633 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does a vampire need teeth to drain people?
« on: April 22, 2013, 03:59:49 pm »

The Butcher "Dwarfula" Sakrithdukim is fighting!
The captain of the guard scratches the Butcher in the upper front teeth, and the severed part flies off in an arc!

I've just started a new fortress, after not playing for a while.  I discovered I had a vampire, and eventually caught her in the act of draining her third victim.  I convicted her, but forgot to assign a prison for her, so she got a beating instead, during which she had some of her front teeth knocked out.  ("She was glad to have punishment reduced relectly"  ???)

So, I'm wondering, will this prevent her from draining anyone else, or should I arrange an accident for her?
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Does a vampire need teeth to drain people?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 04:18:12 pm »

No. As long as a vampire has a mouth it can suck blood IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 04:39:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure that he can still suck blood, because he's only missing a few teeth, not all of them. There are six individual body parts that count as teeth--upper front, upper left, upper right, lower front, lower left, and lower right. If you remove all of them, he can't bite at all. My initial thought was that didn't necessarily need "teeth" per se, as long as you had an attack with SPECIALATTACK_SUCK_BLOOD, but a quick look at the vampire interaction in \data\interaction examples didn't actually give me any hints--perhaps the generated raws that I can't actually see without some wizardry have this in them, but I'm not sure.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:29:00 pm »

And just to confirm it, she's just killed another of my dorfs.  And my guard captain has yet again commuted her sentence to another ineffectual beating.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 07:30:00 pm »

lol dwarfula... now im thinking of a new punishment method that might be implemented for vampires, some sort of mouthguard that is locked and only the guards have the key. The vampire is occasionally allowed into a room where a goblin is tied down to a bed and has their mouthguard unlocked, and then the guards leave. They come back a few moments later to re-lock the vampire's mouthguard before letting them go, and replace the goblin corpse with a fresh one for another vampire.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 09:00:00 pm »

And just to confirm it, she's just killed another of my dorfs.  And my guard captain has yet again commuted her sentence to another ineffectual beating.
You don't "assign" a prison - you designate a cage/chain for justice use, then prisoners automatically get locked up there.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 01:56:34 am »

That's what I meant (I just got the terminology wrong).

I originally set up a cage as jail (in the tomb of the first victim - I was planning on walling the vampire in once they were convicted). 

However, the cage had a dog in it, and the jail designation seems to have been removed when I let the dog out, so there were no jails when I convicted the vampire for her first three offences.

I also now see from the wiki that hammering requires the convict to be chained, and will be commuted to a beating if only a cage is available, hence the second beating even after the jail was set up properly.