Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silkless spiders?  (Read 1969 times)

dragonflare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silkless spiders?
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:07:00 am »

Right now, I'm trying to farm silk from my new giant cave spiders (untamed), but for some reason, they aren't shooting silk that often/ever. I've tried parading horse, muskox, recruit, even a tame GCS, but it doesn't do anything.

I tried keeping the spider behind fortifications and just behind a hole, but both don't work.

Is there any reason why they are refusing to give me my hard-earned silk?

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Re: Silkless spiders?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:16:00 am »

My gods... You actuay tamed one of the fowl beasts? ..... a giant cave spider thats not trying to rip your heart out and eat it sounds kinda cute.... in a horribly ugly way
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

dragonflare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 04:09:00 am »

Well... actually I was playing a seed that was posted a while ago for the last version... the one with 25 GCS. I now have a swarm of them right outside my fortress, along with a LOT of dogs. I'm eager to get my first siege in this version, and watch the bloodbath that'll happen, I guess you could call that cute, in a horribly ugly way.

So is there any way for me to get them to give me silk, the only other thing that I haven't tried is "sacrificing" them an animal everytime I want some silk, but I imagine that the corpses would build up pretty fast, (although that sould be one way to control overpopulation)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 04:17:00 am »

How are you harvesting the silk without the spiders eating you?

And why can't I ever get exotic pets, dammit.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

I once reported an issue with my tame dragon not breathing fire at goblins unless there was a path to them (and apparently a pet-blocked but otherwise open door counts as path here)... maybe you're having a related problem?

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

What worked for me in a previous version is to have a long path for them to run to escape when they leave their cage that takes them to another cage trap.

code:

#.#######
#..... j# j=cage
#..... .#
#..... .#
^      .# ^=cage trap
#.......#
#########

So they would run that path spewing web and hate until they reached the cage trap and would be trapped again.
Have a dwarf let the spider out with a lever on the cage and leave a jeweler in the room as bait.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

I love how you said to put a jeweler in there specifically.
The problem might be that now that your cave spider is tame, it no longer targets everybody and spits webs at them all in attempts to harvest their skulls.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »

Add the token [TRAINABLE] to the GCS. This will allow you to train hunting giant cave spiders. These will follow a hunter and spew web at animals.

You can also try caging or restraining valuable animals and setting a meeting hall zone for the spider next to a caged hostile or next to some hostile outdoor critters. Setting multiple meeting halls will make patrol points for stray pets as well. Of course, this also means your dwarves on break and with no job will move between these points as well...

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: Hague ]