Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming  (Read 666 times)

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farming
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:42:00 am »

What does it mean if a type of plant is red in the Farm's [q] menu? I've noticed this before but it's never been a real problem, but now it is.

I've got nothing but Plump Helmet seeds in the fortress I'm currently working on, and my only hope to survive the winter is to plant those, but the name is red in the menu and I can't select it.

on''t ask for guarantees. And don''t look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore.
--------------------
The fact that a believer is happie

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Farming
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 09:44:00 am »

I would you are trying to plant during winter? Field plots cant be built then.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 09:47:00 am »

No it's not winter, and I can build farm plots, just not plant any Plump Helmet Spawn in them...
on''t ask for guarantees. And don''t look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore.
--------------------

Dumbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

I think the red colour means that it's too late in the season to plant the seeds. You shouldn't try planting late in fall in any case, since you will lose the planted seeds when the fields dry at the start of winter.

Nephilim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:53:00 am »

Ugh, I knew I shouldn't have waited so long to carve out those farms.

Well, I'm going to try and survive winter without food then. It'll be my first fortress I lose to starvation.  :confused:

--------------------

Ichyta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:09:00 am »

If you're really desperate, you could always try and seed your seeds to being cookable. That might just get you over the winter.

Then there's the option to slaughter pets, of course.

Whatever you do, you should do it before your people get really hungry, because then it gets very difficult to get anything done, including preparing food to make it edible.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »

Another option: If you have some food, but not enough for everyone, you could recruit all of your non-essential personnel into the military, and set them to patrol circles inside a room, then lock the doors.

I recommend having them patrol the refuse stockpile room. It saves hauling time afterwards.

Bucket Man