Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming Questions  (Read 573 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Farming Questions
« on: May 05, 2013, 10:27:09 am »

I found out that farm plots could be constructed on any surface where there is mud, including constructed floors. I'd like to ask you guys before I jump to attempts at vertical farming if it's possible to grow aboveground plants on constructed floors, or am I forced to plant it on soil?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Farming Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:30:40 am »

I found out that farm plots could be constructed on any surface where there is mud, including constructed floors. I'd like to ask you guys before I jump to attempts at vertical farming if it's possible to grow aboveground plants on constructed floors, or am I forced to plant it on soil?
I'd be inclined to say no.
But why not try anyways?

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:50:26 am »

After a quick test;- Yes, you can build farms on constructed floors you've covered with mud.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:57:12 am »

I've harvested some whip vines from a muddied sterling silver floor, so i'd say yes. Haven't put my farm in the sky in full operation yet, but it sure looks promising.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:02:33 am »

Yes, but dwarves with the cleaning labor assigned clean mud off of constructed floors (or at least used to, I don't know if that was fixed for df 2012), which breaks the farm.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:12:04 pm »

Hit "k" and inspect the tiles' attributes at the desired area.
Above ground plants need to be "Above ground", while their underground counterparts can be planted in "subterranean" plots.
"Outside", "Inside", "Light" and "Dark" attributes are not relevant.

Basically, building a roof over a room doesn't make above ground planting impossible, so you can make multi-storied greenhouses.